Mar 06 2019

WW: Trampoline Park

Category: Egress,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 10:14 am Comments (15)

I get it.  The trampoline park needs to keep kids from eloping.  But the corridor leading to this blocked exit was roped off and the means of egress is clearly not being maintained as required by the fire code.

What would you propose as a solution?

Thank you to Marc Zolner of Allegion for today’s Wordless Wednesday photo.  When the VP, Financial Planning & Analysis submits photos to iDigHardware on a regular basis, I know I’m one step closer to another of my life goals.  😀

You need to login or register to bookmark/favorite this content.

Recent Posts

15 Responses to “WW: Trampoline Park”

1. Vivian Volz says:

This looks like the perfect situation for delayed egress with local alarm.

In a non-emergency, alarm sounds, the mischievous kids get scared and run back to where they came from, and security checks the camera in the stairwell to make sure nobody left, or sends a guard to meet them at the bottom if they really did get out.

In an actual emergency, determined people hold down the bar, ignore the alarm because what’s behind them is scarier, and get out.

And yes, totally life goals! Go, Lori!

Hi Vivian –

I agree that a delayed egress lock would be helpful, but the IBC would not allow it here (assembly occupancy) so the local AHJ would have to approve it.

• Vivian Volz says:

Oh, dear, yes, that stands to reason. It seems like a good reason for an exception, but that depends on the AHJ’s agreement and might later be reversed. The suggestions about alarms others give below sound like the next best thing.

Looks like a convenient storage area

Signs “ Fire Marshal and VP, Financial Planning & Analysis” are watching.

No Storage Allowed

We all have different goals in life !!!

3. Ryan Hall says:

I would suggest a delayed egress or even an alarmed egress could be a solution, but from experience this does not seem to be an intentional blockage to limit egress. It seems that this is someone that doesn’t understand that you cant block the exits.

Hi Ryan –

The box may be a misunderstanding, but the corridor is also roped off. The IBC doesn’t allow delayed egress locks on assembly occupancies (except secondary exits for courtrooms), so that would require a code modification from the local AHJ.

4. Raymond Holman, AHC says:

An alarmed panic with LOTS of signage. If they want an early warning system, they can add an alarm tied to a sensor focused earlier in the corridor; motion, infrared or photoelectric.

I was thinking about a sensor in the corridor also – that could really help give the staff some early warning.

5. Rich McKie says:

I agree that an approved delayed egress bar, or failing approval an alarmed bar with video monitoring would
    be in order along with some housekeeping and staff training.
    When I was in Disneyland I saw emergency exits on some attractions (The Muppets theatre for one 🙂 ) blocked with a yellow rope with a magnetic break-away joint in the middle as a visual deterrent. I know that someone else mentioned it on here but I don’t recall what the opinion was on it’s legality. Maybe something for the AHJ?

Rich –

I was surprised to find out the other day that Disney seems to have their own code. I wonder if it addresses the yellow ropes. I will try to find out.

6. Matt says:

At the very least an exit alarm. If a planter in front of the door is apparently enough incentive a loud alarm should be as well.

7. Austin Bammann says:

Can you imagine the look on the high school kids working that day when someone like us takes down the rope and moves the box out of the way. Every time I’ve approached employees to discuss these types of situations I always get the glazed eye stare.

Walt Disney world code

They own the city basically

My guess is Las Vegas is close behind, because both places have special needs.

9. Joseph Loskill says:

I don’t know the particulars of this instance, but another possibility is that if they took over an existing building, it may have become an un-necessary exit. Happens all the time when new retail operations takes over existing buildings.

10. Carl says:

Besides the obvious there are a couple of other concerns I have. Mainly the 2 OSHA violations, the extension cord on the floor poses a trip hazard and the standing ladder is a major no no especially around children.

This website or its third party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.