Thank you for visiting www.iDigHardware.com. I am Lori Greene, and my role with Allegion is to provide education and support on the code requirements that affect door openings. On this site you can find in-depth information about accessibility codes, fire door assemblies, life-safety and egress, as well as the code requirements for electrified hardware.
Fire door assemblies play an important role in protecting building occupants from the spread of smoke and flames. Here’s a video all about fire door assemblies:
Note: Although the video references the limit of 1-inch diameter holes for job-site preparation of fire doors, this was changed in the 2016 edition of NFPA 80. There is more information about the change in this post. In addition, the video states that deadbolts may not be installed on fire doors, but in limited locations, listed deadbolts may be installed on fire doors along with positive-latching hardware. Refer to this Decoded article for more information about deadbolts.
The rest of our whiteboard animation videos can be found on the Allegion Training page, or on the Videos page of iDigHardware.com. The Steel Door Institute (SDI) has created additional videos on fire door assemblies and fire door inspection.
Fire door assemblies are required by NFPA 80 to be inspected after installation, after maintenance, and annually, to ensure that they are functioning properly. If you’d like to order any of our laminated fire door inspection cards, just request them using this form – make sure to include your name, shipping address, and the quantity of cards you need. I can also send you the print file if you’d like to have them printed locally. The cards measure 5 1/2 inches x 11 inches and contain information about the NFPA 80 requirements for fire door assembly inspections:
Additional information on fire door inspection is available here:
- Decoded: Fire Door Inspections in Multi-Unit Residential Buildings
- Decoded: Extraneous Labels on Fire Door Assemblies
- Decoded: Thresholds and Gasketing for Fire Doors and Smoke Doors
- Decoded: Where are fire door inspections required by code?
- Decoded: Alterations to Fire Door Assemblies
- Decoded: Protection Plates for Fire Doors
- Decoded: Fire Door Assembly Classifications
- Decoded: Temperature Rise Doors
- Decoded: NFPA 80 Requirements for Hinges, Pivots, and Continuous Hinges
- Decoded: Fire-Protection-Rated vs. Fire-Resistance-Rated Assemblies
- Decoded: Changes to the Life Safety Code for Health Care Occupancies
- Decoded: NFPA 80 – 2013 FDAI Changes
- Fire Door Inspection Checklist
- Locksmith Ledger: What’s a fire door for?
- QQ: Does the Joint Commission require fire door inspectors to be certified?
- Fire Doors – The First Line of Defense
- Decoded Quick-Tips – Fire Door Assemblies
- The Effect of Oversized Clearances on Fire Door Tests
- ICC Staff Opinion on Fire Door Assembly Inspection
- Fire Doors – Everything you always wanted to know (but were afraid to ask).
There are more than 100 other articles about door-related codes on my Articles page.
You can also download the Allegion Code Reference Guide here.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact your local Allegion representative.