As many of you will have read by now, there was an incident yesterday at Ohio State University, where a suspect drove a car into a crowd of people who had been evacuated from a building due to a possible gas leak. The suspect then used a large knife to attack several students until he was shot by a university police officer. As soon as I heard the news, I remembered a video that was produced by Ohio State University, instructing people how to respond to an active shooter situation on the OSU campus. Because the university had a plan in place, they were able to immediately issue a “Buckeye Alert” today, with information and instructions for students and faculty.
OSU’s video is based on the tactics used by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security:
- Have an escape route and plan in mind
- Leave your belongings behind
- Keep your hands visible
- Hide in an area out of the shooter’s view
- Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors
- Silence your cell phone and/or pager
- As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter
- Act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter
CALL 911 WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.