Dec 06 2013

FF: STOP!

Category: Doors Gone Wrong,Fixed-it Friday,StopsLori @ 12:45 pm Comments (9)

When you’re faced with an opening where a floor stop or wall stop just won’t work, you could use an overhead stop.  If that’s not enough protection, you could use a door closer with advanced variable backcheck (AVB), which starts the backcheck (cushioning effect) earlier in the opening cycle and keeps the door from gaining momentum.  Or you could get creative and make your own stop, cover it with carpet so it looks pretty, and then buy a new door…

Creative Stop

Time for a new door

Thank you to Rocky Giroux of Kamco Supply Corp of Boston for the photos!

Have a great weekend everyone!

9 Responses to “FF: STOP!”

1. Lee Francisco says:

And buy a new frame or pay someone to repair it!

2. Jerry Richmond, AHC/CDC says:

Not only was the wood door damaged, the HMF is damaged and pulling away from the CMU wall. Hmm… must be the New England Patriots locker room, or a junior high school.

3. Marvin Kemp says:

Wow, I used to hate overhead stops, but now I’m seeing them in a whole new light!

4. Safecrackin Sammy says:

Swing clear hinges and put a wall stop on the other door…..

Actually a good place for a crash chain but I see it is a mental facility….

5. Dan Poehler says:

This is a learning experience. I see the holes in the floor where the floor stop was originally placed. I can see floor stops creating the same kind of damage if they are placed close to the door jamb. I have seen this done alot recently in the work place so as not to be an obsticle for medical equipment and furniture. An overhead stop with AVB is definitely the way to go. Thanks.

6. Eric says:

Another “A” for effort. It amazes me that people are thoughtful enough and would go to such lengths to build such a thing but don’t have enough common sense to realize how destructive it could be. Time for a lesson in leverage.
    OR…..maybe we should just start making doors that are more flexible. Spring-steel or rubber doors perhaps. Y’all leave that alone. It’s my invention. I’m gonna be rich!!!!