Nov 07 2013

Reader Photos

It’s been a while, so here are some of the many photos I’ve received from y’all…

Eric Miles of Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies saw some evidence that a flush end cap has advantages…

End Cap

And he also sent me a photo of one of my favorite special templates (LCN has more than 3,000 special templates!).  Anyone know the purpose of this modification?

Special Template Track

Safety Dave sent me this one…this application never seems to be detailed correctly so it almost always requires some job-site finagling.

180 Closer

These photos from Milt Allred of Comsense gave me flashbacks to my trip to Nashville.  At least this time I can guess why…they can’t find the key!

Zip Tie Dogging 1

Zip Tie Dogging 2

I’m not sure where this one originated, but someone was looking for help identifying these locks…look familiar?  🙂

Upside Down

From one of my Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies colleagues, an example of an exterior gate with panic hardware.  These are not as common in schools here on the East Coast, but I hear they’re very common in West Coast schools.  Anyone see the problem?

School Gate

School Gate

I was looking for a photo of two closers on the same door a while back, and I recently received two!  One from Eric Tengowski of Engineering Specialties, and one from Tom Kearns of Security Lock Distributors.

Double Closer

Double Closer

Oh chute!  Not again!  From one of my fire marshal pals:

Open Chutes

More Chutes

From Wayne Ficklin, seen on an evening visit to his local supermarket (yes, there was an exit sign pointing to the doors):

Blocked Aisle

Blocked Doors

Thank you to all, and keep ’em coming!

15 Responses to “Reader Photos”

1. Lee Francisco says:

I think I see two problems with the gate. The touch pad width is not at least half the width of the gate and there appears to be a cane bolt at the bottom of the gate.

2. Safecrackin Sammy says:

Ya’ll…

again???

3. Jess says:

Hello Lori,

first photo, duct tape, used for fixing anything, from home applications to panic exit bars, problem now, I really doubt the duct tape is UL listed.

LCN modification (favorite template of yours) this is the rescue setup, in event this is in a hospital where door swings inwards to room and a person falls against the door, this type of template enables the rescue hardware door to have a closer and be able to open the door, and not damage the closer (door is opened the opposite way, and LCN closers are not double acting) so when opened in rescue mode, the hole enables the roller of the closer to leave the rail and re-enter the rail when door is closed (and put back in normal operation)

closer on wall, this is called the pocket door installation,when door is opened the door fits in the pocket, I have only seen once, a friend in Hong Kong shown me one that was located in an airport when he took a trip to the united states

the mystery lock (has red in-use) hmm, medeco?? can you ask for a photo that is more close-up to see the brand on the lock cylinder? it also looks like some designer series of one of ASSA ABLOY’s brands

now as for the west coast gate push bar, if that gate is inswinging, theres no way to lock it, I think they should make it outswinging so they can use dogging feature during day and lock it at night

stacked closers photos, looks like whoever did this used a metric size 15 deep wall socket as the coupler. LCN does NOT supply couplers (not that i know of) for stacking closers on doors, stacking of closers can also cause stress on the pinion of the upper closer where arm connects.

if adjusting a double stacked closer, if adjusting one, do same adjustment to the second one (like you do for 2 screen door closers on a full glass screen door) to reduce the amount of strain on the closers

I never seen one of these in real life, but was sent a photo of a pair at an airport,

the ones that were spotted by Eric Tengowski, were are the COVERS?? (just curious, I like seeing “naked” closers)

ohh chute photos, big no-no for chute doors (trash and laundry) to have hold open, fires if started in dumpster or compactor and trash chute is open, fire can easily climb up to the room or floor the open door is on (and feed the fire oxygen)

store shopping carts, was this during store hours?? possible they were preparing to close for the night and brought all the carts inside??

-Jess the door closer doctor

• Lee Francisco says:

Norton actually has a special template for this arrangement. They don’t provide the coupler but they do provide the dimensions to make one.

I’ve heard that. LCN doesn’t recommend it because it can affect how the closer functions, but people still do it.

• Eric says:

We did the double-stack closer as a test to see if two would close the door during a pressure test. We removed a VERY expensive wood door and sacrificed a stock HM door to perform the test. It’s much easier (and cheaper) to patch holes in a HM door. The stacked closers worked great and are now installed on the wood door WITH the covers.
      And Yes — you are correct Jess — we used a deep socket to join the two.
      I’ve heard that there are places in Florida that have 3 stacked together.

• Jess says:

Eric, pretty cool that the test worked out great with the stacked closers,

3 stacked closers, wow, would love to see that, got pics???

as for sockets, only socket I ever tried to put on the pinion shaft was a shallow wall 12 pt metric socket, did it in front of someone who lives in HK (hong kong) who also reads IDH.

Tom Kearn’s double closer, someone sent me this exact photo to my inbox (a locksmith sent the photo)

another modification you must do when stacking closers, the covers, you have to make a cutout on the cover that goes on upper closer for the linked pinion shafts

-Jess the door closer doctor

4. Doro says:

Sencond pic, it’s this: http://idighardware.com/2009/11/rescue-hardware/

Never seen it in good old Germany, I guess they don’t use it here.

• Jess says:

Doro!!! nice to see your comment here!

I had a feeling you would drop a comment due to the slide rail closer found on rescue hardware,

stacked closers, you might see this on a door if its really wide or thick, it is most common with cruise ships.

-Jess the door closer doctor

5. Joel Niemi says:

School gate has the cane bolt for after-hours — otherwise, a bent wire can be inserted to put pressure on the too-short push bar, and open the gate.

Grocery store may be a 24-hour operation and the manager is trying to thwart snatch-and-run thefts. Needs to consider delayed-egress system, deterrent camera (or even dummy camera) at the door, to give the thief 15 seconds of fame.

6. Larry Niedt says:

Tandem door closers, as per the photo from Eric and Tom…NYC MTA requires this closer application on their tunnel track doors, due to the wind pressure of the passing trains. Never actually saw one or used one, but its in their spec.