Sep 06 2013

Reader Photos

Thank you to everyone who has sent me photos of doors they’ve seen in their travels (or while laying on the couch).  Kelly Chimilar from Allmar Inc. noticed these doors with an obvious egress problem while watching Thursday Night Football.  If you don’t know what the problem is, I will hold a special online study session for you after work tonight.  😉

Denver Football Stadium

Zeke Wolfskehl saw this beautiful door in Telluride:

Beautiful Door at a Telluride Restaurant

Some Illinois residents are upset about the 3 beautiful pairs of doors recently installed at the Illinois Capitol – with a pricetag of $669,608 (thank you to Lee Francisco of DH Pace for sending a link to the article).  What do you think?  Should the state be paying more than $200,000 per opening to replace doors in this historic building?

Illinois Capitol Doors

AP Photo

Alec Walsh of Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies spotted this 90-minute pair in need of some attention.  Another reminder of why fire doors need to be inspected annually…I wonder how long it will be before this closer is repaired.

90 Minute Pair

Some readers prefer to post their photos anonymously…I’m sure they have a good reason but I like to believe it’s because they’re in the Witness Protection Program.  🙂  Anybody know what’s wrong with these fire doors?

Fire Door Hinge  Fire Door Lever

Fire Door Closer

Chuck Park from Fire Door Inspection Service and I have been trying to solve the mystery of the 4th hinge on this door.  The door and frame are prepped for it, so it doesn’t look like it was added in the field.  If the door’s not more than 90″ tall, why the 4th hinge and why is it in that location?

4th Hinge

I have more photos, but I’ve had enough doors for today!  Happy Friday!

9 Responses to “Reader Photos”

1. David DeFilippo says:

1- Slide bolts or some type of hook device
    2- nice
    3- hard to know the cost. Are they wood clad – maybe the state pays double
    4- 7 – just fix or do jail time
    8 just a screw up

2. Kent says:

90 Min Pair??? OK, closer arm broken and end cap missing are obvious but SVR less bottom rod and dogging too??? HMMMM….

Love the sticker….do not prop open…where can I get some? Probably comes on the cardboard hinge shim as a package!

Bondo is a HM man’s friend…..

Two pair beats three of a kind….

Darn NFL rules overrule the IBC which can get you in trouble with the LAW.

4. Daniel P. Ferry, A.H.C. says:

4th Hinge:
    I have seen specifications that called for a 4th hinge on wider doors.
    Even wrote one just recently because of the architects insistance. Saying that the owner did not want continuous hinges. Too hard to replace the door if it gets damaged was their excuse.
    This could have been done in the field or a shop on their stock material.
    Instead of blanking the middle hinge & prepping both door & frame for 2 equal distance butts, it would be less labor to just prep for one.
    Probably missed in the specifications and had to add after the fact.
    Hard to believe that an estimator missed an extra cost item, I know, but it happens!!!

5. Joel Luper says:

the ‘five below’ door appears to be wide enough that the designer thought the weight of the door would eventually cause it to sag. the fourth hinge at the upper half could help distribute the tension stress over a wider area.

• Lisa McDonald says:

Total agreement with Joel. But I would have evenly spaced the hinges for aesthetics. I don’t know if putting more at the top area truly adds protection for sag, but then I am not an engineer.

6. Clair E Gunnet Jr AHC says:

The state of Illinois may have gotten exactly what it paid for – beautiful operable doors. Beauty and dependability are not inexpensive. Efforts of people in the door and hardware industry deserve to be rewarded.

7. Safecrackin Sammy says:

I’m gonna bet on the last door that a dutch door was involved at one time. Thats the only rationale for the odd hinge spacing. Doesnt even look like a taller door cut down to fit the space.

8. Robby Castro says:

Regarding the last picture (5 Below,)showing a (not too tall) door with 4 hinges, my guess would be that there was a Dutch door installed there at some point.