Dec 02 2011

More Museum Hardware

Last weekend I put together the annual family photo album so I could order copies for the grandparents.  Mixed in with all of the vacation photos were a ton of doors.  Someday my grown-up kids will be on the psychiatrist’s couch…“My mother always took us places just so she could look for interesting doors…I’m scarred for life.” 🙂

Here are a few from a science museum we visited a few months ago.  Enjoy!

One of my pet peeves…a closer mounted on the wrong side of the door.  Am I the only one who notices these??

And two more!  Do you think the designer who spent hours on this pair was planning the closers as a focal point?  Or the sweeps?  This door is in the cafeteria…I wonder if it’s rated, and whether the armor plates are labeled.

What’s that white thing near the strike?  Looks like a convenient way to keep the door unlocked.  Or maybe it’s the security guard’s secret TP stash.

I’ve never seen doors like these before.  The second photo shows their purpose…an exhibit on lightning.

I took this photo to show what a door loop looks like, but there’s another problem.  Anyone see it?

And last but not least, a gallery pair with an identity crisis…manual flush bolts and ASA strike, fire exit hardware (LBR with no auxiliary pin), kick-down stops, and the door label removed (and yes, a hinge screw missing).  Who’s gonna notice?!

7 Responses to “More Museum Hardware”

1. Jeff Tock says:

On the opening with the operator, the actuating portion of the exit device doesn’t cover half the with of the door.

2. Brad Keyes says:

Looks like most hospitals I visit…

3. Jeff Tock says:

Correction…neither device is long enough

4. Daniel Ferry, AHC says:

I agree with you Jeff. That was my thought as well. I just wish it had not taken me so long to figure it out.

5. Ian Greene says:

The bars arent long enough and it seems to me that the loop is broken on the door side exposing the wires. It’s a bit hard to see since the photo only blows up so far but it looks to be a bit unraveled on the end.

6. Nolan thrope says:

I like the brown 22’s on the brown doors, accented with a stainless kick plate. Do you think they mounted the devices and realized that you could not recognize that it is an exit, and then installed the kick plates afterward?

How about the smoke seals cut short for the latches and the closer? There really is no correct way to install fire rated SVR devices with surface smoke seals. I guess that is why we have concealed vertical rods.
    However they could have mounted the closer top jamb or with 62A shoe.

• Nolan Thrope says:

I like the brown 22′s on the brown doors, accented with a stainless kick plate. Do you think they mounted the devices and realized that you could not recognize that it is an exit, and then installed the kick plates afterward?

However they could have mounted the closer top jamb or with 62A shoe.