Oct 26 2018

FF: Classic Fix

Category: Egress,Fixed-it Friday,Panic HardwareLori @ 12:29 am Comments (18)

Fire marshal to restaurant owner:  “This door requires panic hardware because the occupant load is over 50 people.”

Restaurant owner:  “Done!”

Thanks to Joshua Day of T & D Construction for the photo!  (Joshua is not responsible for this installation!)

You need to login or register to bookmark/favorite this content.

Recent Posts

18 Responses to “FF: Classic Fix”

1. Bob Caron says:

Besides the obvious swing problem, what is a barrel bolt doing on the outside?

Interesting

1. What are they exiting to???

2. Did you catch the white door across the way!

3. Marshall says:

If I was the Fire Marshall, I’d asked the restaurant owner to run towards the door and push the exit bar without stopping.

4. Krystina says:

Can we get video of a customer trying to open this door using the push pad? A slight amount of forethought would have gone a long way here.

5. Tony Boatman says:

What no door pull?? WOW

6. Anthony Wan says:

That’s what I call a dummy panic!

7. Joel Niemi says:

Fire Marshal forgot to mention “needs to swing in direction of egress”.

So, hypothetically, if panic hardware were to be mounted on the inside of an inswinging door, and used as the means to unlatch the door, would putting a door pull on the inside (so user had something to pull the door open with) be considered as a ‘second action’ since pushing on the push bar, and grabbing the doorpull, would both be needed?

Well…the model codes require one operation to UNLATCH the door (not open it) so grabbing the pull wouldn’t really count. BUT…if the AHJ required panic hardware it probably means that the occupant load of the restaurant is 50 or more, so the door is supposed to be outswinging. AND, it would take special knowledge and effort to open this door, so it’s a no.

8. Ryan says:

This is a elevated (second floor or higher) patio. We have one at our high schools and the occupancy is higher than 50. The door is required to have panic hardware entering the facility as that is egress for that area. The owner just put it all backwards.

9. harry says:

Looks like a “hold my beer!” moment. Unbelievable.

10. James Stroda says:

I’m guessing this door doesn’t latch to start with. That’s why you need a barrel bolt. Maybe they took it from another location just to fill the hole? Whatever the reason the crash bar should be removed before someone gets injured

11. Barry says:

Hi Lori;
    I’ve been trying to get some info but nobody knows for sure, so I figured I ask the expert. The problem is, I was told by inspectors that a bathroom stall in a public facility, not an individual bathroom but as multiperson bathroom must have access latches on the outer stall door so in the event of a medical emergency ems crews could gain access, but I’ve been in countless casinos, restaurants, malls, supermarkets, sports complexes, etc. a few had access devices but must did not, or they replaced a latch with a slide bar, please tell me want the code requirement is, thank you

Hi Barry –

I have not seen a specific requirement for that…if you can get a lead on where it is written, I’ll try to hunt it down.

• Barry Caesar says:

Thanks for your help, I don’t know where it’s posted, I was at some security shows and some vendors told me this, so I assumed they knew what they were doing, I’ll try to google it, thanks again

12. Paul Goldense says:

This is just a new style of push pull hardware

13. hardwarejosh says:

That door leads to the Atlantic City boardwalk at ground level. Restaurant certainly occupies at least 50.

This website or its third party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.