I have worked long and hard to achieve certifications within the hardware industry, so you can bet your booty they’re printed on my business card. People often ask what they all mean, so here’s a quick run-down.
(BTW…I’m still working on some of these, and others require more time and effort than I’m planning to have before I retire in 2028.)
Door & Hardware Institute (DHI) Certifications:
- AHC – Architectural Hardware Consultant
- CDC – Certified Door Consultant
- EHC – Electrified Hardware Consultant
- AOC – Architectural Openings Consultant (If you achieve the 3 certifications above, you become an AOC.)
- A “D” in front of the certifications above means “Distinguished”.
- FDHI – Fellow, DHI
- FDAI – This stands for Fire Door Assembly Inspector – full title must be written, not abbreviated.
Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) Certifications:
- CDT – Certified Documents Technologist
- CCPR – Certified Construction Product Representative
- CCS – Certified Construction Specifier
- CCCA – Certified Construction Contract Administrator
- CSI – CSI Member