Feb 16 2018

FF: File-it Friday

Category: Fixed-it Friday,Locks & KeysLori @ 12:53 am Comments (12)

This is a classic. Gary Huizen of Huizen’s Locksmith Service posted today’s Fixed-it Friday photo on iDigHardware’s Facebook page, and I love it almost as much as these oldies but goodies.

12 Responses to “FF: File-it Friday”

1. MartinB (aka lauxmyth) says:

If the knobset is for traffic flow during the day and there is a deadbolt above for night service, this is incidental. Deadlatches on cylindrical sets with weather trip bind up often. It has been a piece of institutional bad design for decades.

2. Raymond Holman, AHC says:

Hey! I thought you guys were the experts but your hardware came out wrong. The strike was missing the notch for that springy thingy and we had to cut it in. I’ll be sending you a back-charge.

3. Chris Clark says:

That’s one way to keep the dead latch from binding.

4. Louise says:

Nice, and when the frame heaves, they’ll get a call back for the door being jammed.
    ttfn Lori, be back in April. More knee stuff.

5. Robert Harrison says:

WOW! Speechless

6. BryanMcKeehan says:

Perhaps an underhanded employee wanted after hours access.

7. DAVID FEDERICO says:

Kudo’s to the neatness of this modification. In most cases the latch hole is filed so large you could park you service truck in there .lol I often see this as a result of poorly installed weatherstripping,or lack of door bumpers . Sometimes it just a result of improper door alignment .

8. Kent Krauser says:

Ah, come on….everybody knows what that notch is for…the after hours special card access key!

9. Jerry Austin says:

I am a bit confused. Regardless of binding, being a dead latch or other things, isn’t this a derangement of the ante-carding feature that is supposed to rest on the strike and effectively block the latch from retracting to prevent someone from inserting a stiff plastic card and move the latch out of the way by swiping it along the bevel? Am I missing something here? The outline the manufacturer cut in the plate suggests to me that the strike is beveled. The strike plate does not have much slant at the outside edge so I suppose it stops the strike dead because it hits squarely. Probably the root cause of the modification but not a well informed modification in my opinion.

10. Richard McKie says:

Looks like one of our carpenters was moonlighting. 🙁
    They are supposed to give OUR locksmiths job security.

(It was probably the same joker that installed the weatherstripping.
    More service calls for us!)