May 01 2015

FF: Spoon Retrofit

Christy Cross of Schiller Architectural Hardware sent in today’s Fixed-it Friday photos of a lock repair seen on a restaurant mens’ room…

IMG_0031

IMG_0032

13 Responses to “FF: Spoon Retrofit”

Just missing tactile warning for hazardous area

2. lach says:

Can’t a guy eat his cereal and open a door at the same time?

3. Krystina says:

Though incorrect, completely ingenious!

4. David Scott Kenyon says:

Lets talk about a Rube Goldberg Experience Here. Amazing that the Owner of this establishment could not go out and find a replacement lockset at home Depot for $30.00. What a nightmare ! Not sure if it is code compliant due to possible slippage of the spoon in the aperture holding it – however there is nothing preventing the spoon from being pulled off the opening mechanism. Notice how the rose of the new lock is accentuate by the black circle of the previous rose – very attractive – not. Just another failure to attempt door mechanics 101. Replace the Hardware!

5. Scott says:

Does this qualify for ADA?

6. Bobby says:

What I’d like to know is if the person who applied this bent the spoon with his/her mind…

7. Deb Carlsen says:

Uri Geller must be jealous.

8. Leonard Bankester says:

tee-tee spoon?

9. Kent Krauser, AHC,FDAI says:

Damn, now I know why my spoons are always bent.
    Bon Appetite!

10. Bryan McKeehan says:

Why do we see so many cheap resi locks where there originally were heavy duty locks? Are facilities really that cheap?

• Chuck Park says:

I see this quite often.
      I think it boils down to this: Grade 1 lockset @ $300 vs homecenter lockset @ $20
      Contributing factor may be shipping time for Grade 1 vs abundant availability of homecenters.

• Eric T says:

I imagine business owners would buy residential locks because it’s convenient to run to the big box store to get it. Where else would they go? People outside of the construction industry aren’t familiar with commercial distributors and wouldn’t know how to find them. And, I seriously doubt they have any knowledge of the codes that pertain to doors/hardware. I suspect this is the same reason we see so many homemade security devices like the ones Lori often posts on here for schools. People just don’t know. There aren’t any advertisements for any of the products in our industry (fire doors, ADA compliant hardware, exit devices, closers, etc).
      Those of us in the industry live amongst the codes and products every day. It’s natural for us to notice the violations. I’d bet 95% of all office personnel in a multi-story office have no clue that it’s a code violation to put a wedge under the fire rated stairwell door. The percentage may be a little lower than that in a hospital or a school but not by much.

• lach says:

I used to work in our company’s facility department. I can tell some of them are that cheap. They see a lock as a lock. Nothing more nothing less. It’s all about numbers to them. The cheaper the better.