Feb 14 2018

WW: PA or TJ?

Category: Door Closers,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:32 am Comments (9)

Juan McGrath posted this photo on iDigHardware’s Facebook page and gave me permission to share it with y’all.  I’m Wordless over it, but scroll down because I have some unrelated questions for you.  🙂

Can you help with any of these recent questions from iDH readers?

1) Do you know of a power transfer that can accommodate five 14-gauge wires?  I’ve never seen wires that large going through an EPT or door loop, but maybe it’s possible?

2) Does anyone make a replacement for this elevator lock?

3) Any ideas about the manufacturer and model number for this coordinator?

Thank you!

Do you have a question for the iDigHardware community?  Send it to me!

9 Responses to “WW: PA or TJ?”

1. Carl says:

Question # 2 Elevator lock. Not sure who manufactured this lock, it may have been made custom for this application. Have you tried contacting the elevator manufacturer. But it looks like it might be possible to adapt a Schlage A43D with an oop’s plate to compensate for the over sized cross bore.

2. Robert Chillino says:

First of all, are those double acting spring hinges?
    I’m always amazed at some of the creative solutions people come up with.

As to the 14 gauge wires, even if you could fit them how flexible would it be?
    Why 14gauge? Line voltage?

3. Rich says:

For the door loop, we have used the 3/8″ keedex for four 14 ga wires. You could maybe stuff another one in there. Could you use a lighter gauge for a couple of the conductors. If one of the conductors is a ground, it does not need to be insulated maybe. An alternative would be to double up the conductors in an EPT-10. We use the conductors out of extension cords in our loops as they are very flexible forever. For the elevator door lock, try looking for replacement locks for handball courts. I think we have used a Falcon model in the past.

• MartinB (aka lauxmyth) says:

I wonder if running a current using two pair in an fire rated door loop would still be UL rated. Most have two bigger gauge wires for the load and the rest are for monitoring switches and so doubling up wires will seldom be needed. However, I am guessing some application exists which needs more current than the small wires alone will need. I can see the modification of pulling in your own new set of untested wires but this just pairs up existing wires.

4. Tony Klagenberg says:

On the elevator door. Try Accurate Lock. If not in the line up, they could make something.

Ok I give

What is

PA or TJ?

Parallel arm or top jamb – 2 different closer mountings. This closer has a PA shoe, but it’s kinda mounted top jamb. It’s confused.

Figured it had something to do with that