Oct 22 2014

WW: BHMA in AZ

Category: UncategorizedLori @ 2:11 am Comments (15)

I spent most of last week in Arizona at the BHMA meeting, and I found this great (terrible) Wordless Wednesday photo for you.  If you’re new to this site, the problem with this exit is that it has been modified for use as display space in a souvenir shop at the Phoenix airport.  Doors in the means of egress must be visible, with no decorations, mirrors, curtains, or stuffed monkeys.

Phoenix Airport ExitJPG

Several of you have asked about BHMA, and why I attend these meetings.  BHMA is the Builders Hardware Manufacturers Association, and I am a member of the BHMA Codes and Government Affairs Committee.  The committee creates code change proposals, reviews proposals made by others, and sends representatives to the code development hearings to speak about the proposals as needed.  But BHMA’s primary role is in ensuring the quality and performance of builders hardware.  BHMA is the only organization accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to develop and maintain performance standards for architectural hardware.

Here is a short video from BHMA to explain product testing and the importance of BHMA certification:

15 Responses to “WW: BHMA in AZ”

1. Bill says:

With the hinges showing as they do it looks like the door swings into the space, not out.

2. Clair E Gunnet Jr AHC says:

Also it appears this door does not swing in the direction of egress as required.

3. Kim Diehls says:

What?! But they are so cute! Maybe you can save the monkeys on the way out! 🙂

4. Joel Niemi says:

And most exit doors swing in the direction of travel (note hinge pins)

5. Julia says:

The door also swings in. (But I do not know what the occupancy load is there, so it may be ok)On a lighter note, that is a great deal on the Monkeys! 2 for $20! I hope you got a couple!

I think the occupancy load was low enough that an inswinging door was ok. Our family rule is that if I’ve been to a state before, I don’t bring a souvenir home for the kids, so no monkeys! They’d just end up laying around on the floor anyway.

6. Wayne says:

This is a constant source of frustration for me at work. I’m reviewing and approving plans and then modifications like this happen after opening but fortunately our safety department can and does write citations for things like this.

• Jeramie says:

I feel your frustration Wayne! Same here!

• Beth says:

Owners should know better. In a college it’s even worse…students don’t know any better, and when you mention to them that having them all throw their book bags in front of the second lab exit, instead of using the wall-mounted rack system that is RIGHT NEXT TO THE DOOR, they look at you like you’re just being paranoid.

Then you add in the folks who see that GREAT open real estate under their safety shower…and in front of the junction boxes…

7. Chuck says:

The Monkey Door is also inswinging.

8. Vincent Chestnut says:

OK, quit monkeying around and expose this exit!