Sep 24 2014

WW: Hotel Exit

When I stay in a hotel I always check the fire doors and egress doors, and unfortunately I usually find issues.¬† I guess I’m not the only one…

Blocked Hotel Exit

Thank you to Daniel Davis of Johns Company for today’s Wordless Wednesday photo!

11 Responses to “WW: Hotel Exit”

1. Lee Francisco says:

I’m not sure that device qualifies as an “exit” device. It would appear that the paddle length is less than half the width of the door.

2. charlie Hobbs says:

Does not meet code anyway. They removed the exit device and installed a paddle alarm.

3. Karl Pfeffer says:

The storage of items within the exit enclosure and in front of the door are obvious violations.
    However, I wonder if the paddle arm is ok. If this is a hotel, then that would be a Group R-1 occupancy. Panic hardware is not required in R occupancy. Thus would the hardware be acceptable?

It’s impossible to know from the photo what area of the hotel this door is serving. If the hotel only had sleeping rooms and no Assembly spaces, panic hardware is not required. But if the door was serving a banquet or conference area, panic hardware would be required if the occupant load was 50 people or more.

4. Dave C. says:

If the active portion of the Paddle Alarm arm was long enough. Wouldn’t that meet code requirements?

There are some exit alarms that do meet the requirements for panic hardware. The key is to look for certification to UL 305, which is the test standard for panic hardware.

5. Dan says:

Hotels are one of the most important building types to maintain free egrees in the event of an emergency. Patrons are usually sleeping, intoxicated or both. Therefore, it’s critical to maintain all life safety systems, especially egress. Ahem …

6. Bryan McKeehan says:

I’d push it just to draw attention

• Eric says:

It’s probably a poor application even it the paddle did meet code. What are the chances of anyone (besides the nearby guests in the adjacent rooms) hearing the alarm? Furthermore, what are the chances the battery is fresh enough to allow the alarm to sound? They obviously don’t consider life safety…I doubt they maintain their hardware.
      But I’m with Bryan. It’s worth pushing just to see what happens.

7. David R. DeFilippo AIA says:

I always see stuff in the stairwell! At least I can grab a beverage on the way out

8. Roger Piane says:

I hope the person who took the picture reported a blocked exit.