Nov 13 2013

WW: Less Top Rod

Category: Fire Doors,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:23 am Comments (13)

In case you were wondering, this is not an acceptable application for a fire door.  And I’m not sure if/how it’s working properly, or what’s under the big plate.

Less Top Rod on Fire Door

Photo submitted by Craig Burns of Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies.

13 Responses to “WW: Less Top Rod”

1. Cathy Kopp says:

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head …

2. Safecrackin Sammy says:

Wow… Sheet metal shop was working overtime making that plate…..

Interesting since most SVR devices key off the top latch to function.. Maybe it was a three point device at one time but omitting the top latch makes no sense…

The gap between the bottom latch and the floor concerns me too.. Looks excessive…

Maybe its a non latching door now and the bar is just to push on?

3. Brenda says:

I would like more explanation regarding this door. I subscribe to this blog in order to learn more about doors and hardware and I don’t understand the potential problems with this door. The only thing I see is that there is a panic hardware over a push plate, but how does that impact the door being a fire-rated door? Thanks.

4. Jason Relyea says:

Having seen this door in person I was amazed that the installer actually installed the top latch at the bottom of the door. The door was also prepped for the auxiliary fire bolt but not installed. Thankfully they didn’t try to install the 499F strike to the floor!

• Safecrackin Sammy says:

Hey Jason,

Wow! Would the device even function in theory with the top latch installed in the bottom postion?
      ie maybe just testing the trigger on the latch with a screwdriver etc.?

And if the above is true any guess how long it would continue to function since top latches rely alot on mean old Mr. Gravity to function?

Thanks

• Lee Francisco says:

This makes me think they installed them upside down. If I recall when you order an LBR device the case has a notch for the top rod only. They would have had to cut down the top rods just to make it fit on the door.

5. Brenda says:

Lori-
    Thanks for the information! I’m relatively new to your blog so I haven’t quite figured out your format yet. Usually on your Wednesday and Friday posts I can see what someone has done, but this one had me scratching my head. Thanks again!

6. Eric Hirning says:

Things that make you go “hmmmm”.

7. Rosa says:

How would they get the top bar to fit on the bottom? I assume they cut it short. Are those bars typically cut to size in the field for top installations, too?

Hi Rosa –

You could put the top rod on the bottom, but using the top latch as the bottom latch is the part that’s really strange.

8. danny estryk says:

the latch is pullman latch

9. Tony Calistro says:

Looks to me like the device could have been ordered for the wrong hand, so the MECHANIC just cut the rod and flipped it over!