Aug 08 2012

WW: This Door is Not Ajar

Category: Doors Gone Wrong,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 9:05 am Comments (17)

Anybody see the problem here?

The source for this photo shall remain nameless to avoid embarrassment.  Don’t worry, my friend.  There are a thousand ways to screw up a door, I always say.  Yes, I really do say that.  😀

17 Responses to “WW: This Door is Not Ajar”

1. Jeff Tock says:

The casing doesn’t match, either

2. Jerry Richmond, AHC/CDC says:

Seems to be a little short on width, but why even hang the door?

3. kevin says:

Wow!
    just a little outside on the width. Check the top right corner of casing as well, the miter joint is not so nice as well. Having spent much time installing this might just need a little correction.

4. Joe says:

Maybe the question is “how bad is that frame screwed up?”

5. Daniel Ferry, AHC says:

This photo clearly shows the difference between the different interpretations of a 2868 door & frame.
    It is not hard to mistake a 2868 door with a 28″ wide door.
    Of course, they always get the height correct.
    You gotta be very clear when ordering.
    Cannot just assume that they know what you mean.

It was actually a change in door width that was made by the architect and caught by the millwork supplier but not the door supplier. Luckily it was only one!

6. Brad Keyes says:

I notice beyond the door appears to be a stairway, going in a downward direction. If this is the exit from the apartment then shouldn’t the door swing in the direction of egress?

Without seeing the plan, it’s hard to tell. The door typically has to swing in the direction of egress when it is serving 50 people or more.

7. Bob Monigle says:

Sorta gives it that Escher feel…LOL I’m surprised that they didn’t ask for a 6″ latchbolt extension…

8. Khozema Kazi, AHC/FDAI says:

Do I see the short panel as a partition that will stop the door swing so as not to hit someone coming from the small width door?

Hi Khozema –

The short panel was unintentional…it’s a 2′-8″ door in a 3′-0″ frame. I wish I had photos of all the mistakes I made back in my distributor days! 🙂

9. Bob Caron says:

Oh, I thought it was one of those special doors to allow the cat to pass freely back and forth.

That would be helpful, especially if there’s a fire and you want to make sure your cat escapes safely. :/

10. Terry Crump says:

This appears to be a residence to me. It looks like a 1 3/8″ door with 2 3/8″ backset lock.
    I’ll bet that the trim carpenter used a piece of base trim on the right side jamb. It’s usually wider than door trim. Either that or it’s an unbelievably bad mitre joint. (maybe he got run off of the job and that’s why it’s unfinished)

11. Dave says:

I still live in fear of changes even after 39 years in construction related jobs. Nagging questions what and who and how is this going to affect the project??? Did I notify everybody?? No wonder I’m obsessive compulsive and other things!This one however is mostly laughable and easy to fix, but boy have I been there too!!

I hear you! I used to be a detailer and project manager and I would have dreams about that stuff. One time I dreamed that on a project that had a mix of both oak doors and birch doors, I had accidentally ordered them opposite – so the doors that were supposed to be oak were ordered as birch and vice versa. And guess what??? It was true! I had ordered them wrong. Luckily Weyerhauser was at a point in the order that they could still switch it…I just ended up with some birch doors with oak stiles. Freaky!!

• Dave says:

Glad I’m not alone! The best mistakes are the one you can fix before anybody notices. Sounds like your subconscious bailed you out on that one.