Dec 15 2009

Freedom for Chip

Category: Chip Falcon Road Trip,Panic HardwareLori @ 9:47 pm Comments (6)

I’m sure that some of you remember the family road trip I took last summer, and the fact that I took along a Falcon exit device, nicknamed Chip Falcon. If you missed it, or if you just want to see the Doors of Colonial Williamsburg again, here’s a link to the series.

Since we returned in August, Chip has been waiting patiently in my office for me to find him a permanent home.  When my friend and mentor, Bill Elliott, asked me to price a panic device for the library in his new hometown, I knew it was a match made in heaven.  Well, almost.  Since the library door was wider than 3′, Chip had to be modified to have a wider touchpad, but he survived the procedure and was installed last Friday.

Thanks to Chuck Gulla, Bill Lawliss, and Bill Elliott, the Freedom Public Library now has a code-compliant front entrance.  Here are some photos from the big day:

P1010033 Chuck Drilling 4 Installation Holes

IMG00080-20091211-1147 P1010055

Read the next post on Chip Falcon’s Road Trip –>

<– Read the previous post on Chip Falcon’s Road Trip

6 Responses to “Freedom for Chip”

1. Bill Elliott says:

I’m glad that I made my initial call to Lori. Chip could have been stuck in his packing box, only to be taken out for sample purposes. He is now doing that which he is intended to do and that is to make the entrance door code-compliant. He now has a permanent home helping the adults and children out of the Freedom, NH public library. He was also joined by a friend, a door closer, from another I/R sister company (LCN). They work well together. He had quite a vacation this past summer and I’m glad that I was able to follow his trip and find him a home. He deserves a nice home and has one now. I have told the librarian and a trustee about the “Adventures of Chip Falcon”. It would be nice if his travels could be written and presented to the children at a story hour. He has a good home, is appreciated for being there and will be well maintained. I will visit him as often as I can.

That’s a great idea! I think the world needs a children’s book about door hardware, and coincidentally I need to pay for 3 college educations!

2. Doro says:

Awww, that’s cute!

Chip finally found a wonderful home!

Christmas time, the right time to make people – and Chip Falcon – happy!

I wonder what closer Chip is now friends with: Elbow arm or RAIL?

Yea, rail lover here!

Greets, D.

Hi Jess and Dorothea –

Chip’s closer friend is an LCN 1461, so I guess what you’d call an elbow arm, D.

Have a merry Christmas.

3. Jess says:

Hello Lori, Looks like Christmas came a couple of weeks early to Chip, really proud as well that he now has a home (Freedom Public Library) looks like all went really well and he made a new friend (LCN) that also is on his door.

To Chip: Home sweet home, MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your new friend, LCN!

Great place to be an exit device, nice, quiet peaceful atmosphere, short working hours….what more could Chip ask for!

I wonder, about his new friend, LCN 4040 or 4010? EDA or regular arm style?? possible you can get a pic of LCN too?? what a coincidence of Chip being friends with LCN, a sister company under Ingersoll Rand name. I guess LCN is popular there in NH and he happened to be installed on a door using LCN.

-Jess

4. Jess says:

Hello again Lori,

Forgot to add, about a book about Chip’s adventures……. that doesn’t sound that bad, in fact, my first book was called “David’s First Bicycle.” It was a 24-page story about a boy who gets a 2-wheel bicycle and names the bicycle Speedy.

Good title, Chip’s Big Adventure, maybe as a novelty “promotional” material for Falcon 24/25 exit devices or maybe as a children’s book.

I’m sure humor and some conversation in the story between installer and Chip, and after installation, conversation in story with his new friend (LCN) and himself.

Pretty sure any little kid out there has asked at one point or another, “Whats that on the door Mommy/Daddy?” and now through a book will know what both devices do (door closer and pushbar/exit device).

-Jess