Jan 31 2018

WW: Classroom Door Intruder Lock – Homemade Science

🙁

23 Responses to “WW: Classroom Door Intruder Lock – Homemade Science”

Dang Shoproom teachers!

Maybe have a list of the ten worst.

I think this would be in the top ten.

2. Marshall says:

Besides the obvious life safety issues with the device, did anyone notice the “glass” flexed when he pushed against it. Doesn’t seem like tempered glass there.

Also, let’s arm the students with bats, pipes, and rocks inside the classroom.

3. Dave says:

So… you need to open the door in order to use this barricade device? Seems counter-intuitive, as you’d only be using these devices once a Lockdown has been initiated.

Also, seems like it would only work in classrooms which has an out swinging door.

Won’t even go into the build materials…

4. Eric says:

It would have been funny to see that door crack when he leaned into it to demonstrate the strength of death-trap device.

He does have a good point about the ability to break the glass, reach in and open the door. I can foresee a requirement for smaller glass, glass moved to the center or glass moved closer to the hinge edge as the codes are adjusted to make our schools safer.

5. Tim Cannon says:

CDA, this is a top 3. Just the fact you have to open the door to install it makes it dangerous. Then they are going to throw rocks at them and really make them even crazier than they are. I like the idea of bringing a bat to a gunfight- let me know how that works out for you.

6. Eric Rieckers says:

Thank gawd marijuana is legal in my state because I need a cure for the nausea caused by this video.

7. Rich says:

At least they can cut this off on the outside to get in. It may not be fast, but it is better than the ones you cant get to at all. You need a big enough gap below the door to slip the angle under the door. With a small gap, this item will not work.

8. Curtis Meskus says:

take the YouTube away for these people

9. Thor Mollung says:

Good Lord! That is terrible!

10. Tim S says:

Looking on the bright side, at least it can’t be used on an inswing door.

He does have a point about the breakability of glass though…is this a case where it might actually make sense to use wire glass (with appropriate impact-safety films)? Without that, we’re either using locks that don’t meet the egress and accessibility standards or we’re using classroom doors that have no glass in them (which raises its own set of issues).

11. Domenic LoBello says:

Wow baseball bats and rocks to go along with that homemade contraption!!!
    I’d like to see how fast he can get this on the door with an active shooter in the hallway (that’s if he would even open the door with an intruder present).
    I won’t even go into the Life Safety issues.
    I mentioned in a previous post thatI ama survivor of the Our Lady of Angels grammar school,fire in Chicago. The reason I am able to write this post is that as am 8 year old second grader I had unimpeded egress from the building and was able to just walk out like a regular fire drill. I cannot imagine the panic of being locked in a classroom with smoke filling the corridors?

12. Barry Caesar says:

It’s the same old story, someone who’s not connected with safety comes up with a device that keeps people out but that don’t realize, if it keeps people out, what if an intrude gets i n the room, now it becomes a job for the good person to gain entry. I’ve been a volunteer firefighter for 32 years, I can get into ANY inward opening door, outward is more of a challenge but possible. But that’s the fire dept, a regular person whether good or evil, is not going to enter for some time, lets get are act together. Just because you devised a device to keep people out, or have to think about safety

13. Anthony Wan says:

Lets aid the school bully with a barricade device, baseball bat, and rocks….

14. Mark says:

Really? Fear mongering at its finest. The product appears to have the same quality as the video. How about that 10″ clear at the bottom of the door??

15. Rich McKie says:

Sheesh-Another one!

This makes me feel good. Just today I specced Schlage ND95 Classroom Security locks for a major renovation at one of our schools.
    (Pats self on back 🙂 )

16. Pete Schifferli says:

Absolutely frightening! Good intentions run amuck, they live among us.

Pete

17. Jim Elder says:

I saw this on Youtube. This post got over 240K views!!

18. Louise says:

As previously noted, first open the door. Good idea, let in the intruder while you’re on your knee trying to fit it under the door while trying to not panic.
    Again, kneel down to engage.
    Kneel down to release.

I’m still doing my imitation of a beached whale trying to get back up from kneeling while installing.

Maybe we should go into _their_ classrooms and tell _them_ how to teach their particular subjects.

19. Robert says:

Maybe I’ll something crazy.

Why could it be not possible to use an entrance or storeroom function lock?
    The teacher or someone else just has to push the button and it’s done.
    Fast, easy and safe no?

Hi Robert –

Most schools use either entrance/office or classroom security function, depending on how they want to lock the door. Some schools – if budget will allow – install electrified locks that allow remote lockdown. If schools have existing classroom locks, they may choose to keep them locked all the time so they just have to close the doors to lock them. There’s no reason that a storeroom lock can’t be used, but if schools are upgrading to new locks, storeroom locks wouldn’t be my first choice.

This website or its third party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.