Jul 10 2017

NYC – Greenwich Lock & Safe

Category: Locks & Keys,Road TripsLori @ 12:53 am Comments (9)

Some of you may remember the blog post below, which I first published in 2011.  Time flies!  When I visited Greenwich Lock & Safe and met locksmith and artist Phil Mortillaro, he told me that there was a documentary in progress about him.  The documentary is now available on PBS.org!

~~~

I took the Acela train to New York City this morning, so I could attend the dinner cruise for the Door Security & Safety Foundation tonight (a great time!).  Last night when I was packing for the trip, my 5-year-old daughter said, “I don’t want you to go to New York.  There are bad men there.”  When I asked where she had heard about these “bad men”, she said, “I saw them on the movie, Home Alone!”  🙂

A few months ago, several people sent me a link to a blog post about a locksmith shop in NYC.  Since I had a couple of free hours this afternoon I decided to go see it in person.  Greenwich Lock & Safe is not your typical lock shop…it’s the smallest freestanding building in all of Manhattan, and it’s a work of art.  The entire facade of the building is covered with keys.  It’s amazing!!  I spoke to the owner and artist, Philip Mortillaro, and he estimates that there are about 20,000 keys.  I know I’m abnormally partial to hardware, but this shop is really beautiful.  Philip told me that there is a documentary in progress about his locksmith business and his art – it’s called Do Not Duplicate, and you can watch the trailer on Philip’s website – www.philipmortillaro.com.

Previous Post: | Next Post:

9 Responses to “NYC – Greenwich Lock & Safe”

1. Bob Caron says:

I’ve noticed a lot of us locksmiths are a bit wacky and creative. I love that guy’s work and the documentary film sounds like it will be very interesting. I hope it will be available on DVD after it airs because I have no TV or cable/satelite.

2. Kathi Frelk says:

I’m a little jealous that you got to visit Greenwich Lock & Safe! Don’t know when I’ll get to NYC again, but I will also make time to see this shop! Thanks for posting info about documentary…I’m looking forward to seeing it. kbf

3. Daniel Ferry, AHC says:

Wow!!!
    Great idea of what to do with old keys, huh?
    Thought the door & chair were time consuming.
    Then saw the building facade!!!
    Holy Cow!!!

4. Bob Caron says:

I just heard from Phil. He says the documentary will be out on DVD and he will let us know when on his facebook page. I’ll let you know when I see the details.

5. Bob Caron says:

The 30 minute documentary is streaming online for free on PBS.

Phil has some pretty salty language so you are warned if that bothers you.

I got a notification about that! Salty language doesn’t bother me but I will watch it and see if would be a problem for me to post a link on iDH. It’s on PBS so it doesn’t seem like it could be that bad, but I’m not sure what Allegion’s rules are on that.

6. Jim Elder says:

Great film. I love New York guys who work with their hands. Salty talk is a way of life.

Wonder if he needs keys. I know locksmiths who have buckets full. Brass or aluminum, both?

7. Chris Clark says:

Wow…the Iron Throne doesn’t hold a candle to The Chair of Keys 🙂

8. Chuck Park says:

In NY, the “F” word is an all-purpose part of regular communication.
    It can be a Noun, Verb, Adverb, Adjective, and Modifier all in one.

This website or its third party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.