May 25 2016

WW: Gas Station Exit

Category: Egress,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:03 am Comments (10)

I think we all know by now that egress doors are not allowed to be painted or covered in a way that would disguise them (except certain doors in health care occupancies where NFPA 101 allows murals).  Charles Anderson sent me this photo, and I was surprised to learn that it was in a gas station/convenience store.  I think we’ll see this more often as these types of wall coverings become popular.

Gas Station Exit

10 Responses to “WW: Gas Station Exit”

1. Estefano Pilonieta says:

This looks like the coyote did this to catch the road runner

2. Bill Partington says:

Nay, maybe ok with a red decal exit sign on the door.

3. Lee Francisco says:

At least they painted the frame a contrasting color…sort of.

• B. Holt says:

I was thinking the same thing Lee…and wondering if that would be enough to define the opening as such and allow it to pass inspection.

4. James Slemmons says:

I’ve seen worse.

5. Daniel Poehler says:

This situation, being at the end of a corridor, doesn’t bother me as much as an open room where there is no focal point to an exit and a mural would serve as a better disguise. I’m not really fooled by the mural in this example, but does it comply?

6. Khozema Kazi, AHC, FDAI says:

Although not compliant, add photoluminescent strips on frame face and exit device push pad, to make it better visible in dark.

7. MartinB (aka lauxmyth) says:

Somehow this does not bother me much at all. Face it, often a door is simply a different shade of paint from the wall and the frame. Nobody considers that a disguise. Given the solid lines of the frame, I think the door is fine. The warning label is wasted as it is ‘hidden’ but it is not delayed egress so the sign is not a code requirement just a good idea.

This website or its third party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.