Jun 07 2017

WW: Double Labels

Category: FDAI,Fire Doors,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:48 am Comments (15)

Ummm…what has happened here?

Thank you to Paul Goldense of Goldense Building Products for today’s Wordless Wednesday photo!

15 Responses to “WW: Double Labels”

My uneducated guess

The door normally comes with the WH label,,,

But for the job it needed the 3/4 or C rating

And the door has been tested for both, so being a little lazy a second label was added over the first?!

2. Curt Norton, CSI CCS says:

I think someone knew a guy, who knew a guy who had access to extra labels…

3. Eric Rieckers says:

The AHJ wanted metal labels instead of Mylar?

4. Dave Snell, AHC says:

Could it be that the door was originally one label and a change was made (bigger lite kit) so it was relabeled. The old label should have still been taken off first.

I actually had a customer ask if I could put 2 B-90 Label on a door to give it an A Label.

5. Daniel Ferry, AHC says:

Stock Steelcraft doors and frames typically come with the Mylar labels stating that the material is fire rated up to 90 minutes.
    Obviously, in this case, only 45 minutes was desired.
    The door supplier’s shop is supposed to remove the Mylar label prior to applying a metal label. Guess that was too much trouble.
    Dan

6. Kevin says:

I like how the only part of the WHI label that you can still see is the part that states not to cover this label. Classic.

7. Frank Ehrman CPP PSP says:

Door modified and truly relabeled????
    The recertification folks need to be talked to!

8. Clair E Gunnet Jr AHC says:

The door is a Steelcraft stock door with WHI fire label attached by Steelcraft. I believe the label is for 1.5 hour. A label shop has attached a ULC 3/4 hour label. The WHI label should have been removed.

9. Raymond Holman, AHC says:

Nothing good has happened here. Off the top of my head I can think of three reasons why this door had to be relabeled but none of them include leaving the old label on the door. Maybe the owner got creative? Although that definitely looks like a Steelcraft door per the UL label. Many years ago I was visiting someone in the hospital when I noticed that the cross corridor pair of doors was REALLY wrong. Both doors had red dowels in the hinge edge, which told me they were Weyerhaeuser particle core doors (yes, that long ago) but they had Graham 90 minute fire door labels. You could even see where the original fasteners had been. Creative owner.

10. Don Funsch says:

Looks like they added a vision lite to a 45 min door. Temp glass??

11. Laura Pedersen says:

Twice the labels, twice the protection?

12. Rick Halloran says:

My guess (stress guess) is that the requirement for the door rating changed from 30 minute to 3/4 hour. Rather than change out the door they had it relabeled. I have seen a number of doors where the manufacturer just puts different labels on the same door. So a 30 minute door may also be labeled a 2 hour door. UL can be hired to relist the door for less than it costs to replace. That would be my guess.

13. John dalrymple says:

The label underneath comes with the door. The label on top is applied by the approved second location (Steelcraft distributor) because the door was modifified in accordance with their second location procedures and/or the local AHJ doesn’t like the Mylar labels and so the distributor applies the riveted steel labels in accordance with their prescribed authority.

14. Moses Lefkowitz says:

Lori,
    Can you tell if the Rivet Nails are the once Steelcraft uses.
    Maybe some Field Personal Tampered with it not knowing where to place it.

15. Vincent Chestnut says:

At least the second label is more parallel with the door than the first.