Feb 02 2016

Rotary Natural Birch

Category: Doors & FramesLori @ 6:55 am Comments (15)

It’s not always easy being a one-woman band – especially on days when I spend all day on airplanes and then have to come up with something educational and engaging to post for the next day.  I was so happy to arrive at the hotel last night and find this photo from Austin Bammann, of Central Indiana Hardware.  This is a great illustration of the variations and unintended patterns that can occur with rotary cut natural birch doors (“To infinity…and beyond!”).  Like Austin, I fielded many complaints from architects over the years, and began warning them when I saw rotary natural birch in their specification.

Rotary Natural Birch

There is additional information about wood door veneer selection at ArchToolBox.com (slicing, matching).  If you have other good sources of information, or photos you’d like to share, send it along and I’ll add it to this post.

Do you have any advice to share regarding wood veneers?

15 Responses to “Rotary Natural Birch”

1. Mojo says:

Is that the profile of a rocket on the launch pad?

2. Lee Francisco says:

Well at least the door viewer lined up at the right spot.

3. Jack Ostergaard says:

Also looks like a face on the “rocket”. At least is easy to remember which room is yours.

4. Terry Crump says:

The architect should know that they’re in for when they specify Rotary Natural Birch. No need for a ‘warning’. They have specified the cut of veneer that yields the most usable product–with the least amount of waste–of any other cut. What makes this door interesting is the book-matching. (I guess we’re lucky that we all see a rocket ship and not something a little more R-rated.)

Maybe they should know, but they continue to be surprised when the doors show up on the job. I’d rather give them a warning to make sure they know what to expect. In my old office in Vermont, there was an R-rated image on the inside of the ladies’ room door. 🙂

5. John Dalrymple says:

and this a “architectural grade” door – note the door is center balanced. You can get them even more varied when they are simply random balanced.

• Bob Caron says:

Besides being center balanced, how do you specify that you want only two pieces book matched? Many of our desks here are rotary birch with one full piece. I like that split down the center.

6. Joel Niemi says:

Visit the Pan-Pacific Hotel in Vancouver BC to see some nice bird’s-eye maple doors and to see a clever installation for the bathroom privacy door. [One door hinged to close off one of two openings in walls at 90 degree – 3 jambs, 2 heads.

7. Khozema Kazi, AHC, FDAI says:

Good that you have touched upon this subject – wood veneer – its types, cuts, match. Hardware guys who are too occupied with only door hardware details, must also know wood doors and steel door construction methods. It helps a lot in specifying the right hardware.

8. Brian says:

Beauty is as beauty does.

9. Jeff Tock says:

Paging Flash Gordon…your ride is here!!

10. B. Holt says:

Thank you Lori…I really needed the grin today. 🙂 What a door!

11. Louise says: