Dec 18 2015

FF: Break Glass

Category: Doors Gone Wrong,Egress,Fixed-it FridayLori @ 12:04 am Comments (13)

This photo from Kristi Dietz of LaForce, Inc. (check out their blog!), is not just your everyday Fixed-it Friday photo.  It is one of my favorite Fixed-it Friday photos OF ALL TIME!  And no, it’s not code-compliant…at least not in any jurisdiction that I know of.

aa Break Glass

13 Responses to “FF: Break Glass”

1. RIck Nemec says:

The least that could be done is to keep a hammer hanging there so you didn’t have to risk cutting yourself in the process of getting out.

2. Alan Itzkowitz says:

On which side of the door do you turn the knob, push or pull side?

It looks like the cylinder is on the push side, so you would reach through and turn the knob on the pull side.

3. Eric says:

It’s not ADA compliant, either. It should be written in braille as well.

4. Ryan Pfeiffer says:

The knob still isn’t turning!

5. Marcus Muirhead says:

This is funny, truly! Is that a fire-rated door? Is the glass fire rated? What does this do to the label, or did they have a UL shop install it? Should they’ve made the glass a little taller so you might have the option of kicking it out instead of punching it out? Is it glass or some other material? Did the AHJ sign off on this? And where is this?

I can’t answer any of your questions definitively, but my guess is that it is a fire door, and that the glass is not listed for that use.

6. Mark says:

Break glass, turn knob, bleed out.

7. Chuck Park says:

At the facility I worked in, there was an exterior exit door from a stairwell that had a glass jar glued over the doorknob, with an eight inch length of 1″ x 1″ angle iron hanging from a piece of sash chain screwed to the door frame next to it.

8. Jerry Austin says:

A bit off topic but when I was working for a Hospital, we had a particularly troubling problem with false alarms in our mental health building. It seems like the alarm was being pulled several times a day and the break glass rod type actuator was not stopping the kids who were the primary culprits. The district fire chief explained patiently and earnestly how this could endanger their family at home when the fire department was running to the false alarms. Absolutely zero effect. The head of the mental health unit suggested we change all the glass rod protected type pull stations to a type that had a thin piece of glass covering the whole actuator. I was so skeptical, that I ordered 50 extra glass slips as we changed the pull stations out. Not another false alarm so long as I was there. There are probably 50 dust covered replacement break glass panels still sitting on a shelf. Merry Christmas.

It makes sense – I think the glass would be a deterrent for most people. I’m sure someone has been wondering what that pile of glass is for. 🙂

9. David R. DeFilippo AIA says:

What bonehead allowed this to happen and allows it to continue ? Is there a stack of coffins somewhere for the bodies that will pile up?