Mar 05 2015

Panic Hardware Basics (video)

Category: Back-2-Basics,Panic Hardware,VideosLori @ 1:23 pm Comments (21)

I’ve had a lot of requests for videos that address the basics of doors and hardware.  Allegion has created several videos using the videoscribe format, including these two about panic hardware.  Some of the code information in the “101” video is a bit general and I will eventually make a more in-depth video on this topic (I didn’t create the videos below), but what do you think of the format?

The rest of our whiteboard animation videos can be found on the Allegion Training page, or on the Videos page of iDigHardware.com.

What other topics would you like to see addressed in future videos?

21 Responses to “Panic Hardware Basics (video)”

I like them. They explain in simple terms. There are examples.

I have never had trim explained. So I learned something
    I will pass them along to our firefighters and building dept.

Did you pose for any of the scenes ?

2. Keith Krienke says:

Who are you trying to reach with these? My thoughts are that people who need to know this info already know it.

Everyone has to start somewhere, right? For example, one of the videos will be on door handing…I can’t count the number of times I’ve tried to explain handing over the phone to an architect or someone who needed to order a handed product.

3. David Barbaree says:

Very nice! Whiteboard animations capture the short attention span of most people today and they entertain as well as educate. Don’t be afraid to add some dramatic or humorous elements to keep it lively. I would love to see WA’s that cover overall door assembly considerations like ADA standards and door swing/clearance issues like you showed in a previous post.

4. JimJ says:

Clever – fun to watch. There are lots of possible topics; I would like to see one on closers. Maybe I could manage to remember a few of the basics if I watched a video like this a few times!

5. Rachel Smith says:

Interesting format. For someone fairly new to the industry an occasional photograph of actual product might be useful.

I would keep it up… any way we can get knowledge out there is wonderful. Thanks

I will talk to the training department about that to see if they’d be opposed to mixing in a few photos.

6. Eric says:

Great format and easy to understand. I’d like to see a short clip on fire rated assemblies and what’s required in terms of hardware.

7. Jack Ostergaard says:

Good format and style. Obviously these are the “starter” set and most of us (even us architects)know the material presented. I can see this being hundreds of episodes long. But on these perhaps a little more detail eg: dogging can be a hex key or cylinder dogging; mention that lever functions come in trim variations – a hint of what the trims beyond the 5 basics are.

I agree. It’s just hard to balance the amount of information that should be presented with the length of the video. The recommended length of this type of video is 2 minutes and these are longer than that already. I can’t wait to start covering some code topics!

8. Young says:

I love to see them.
    I’d like to share them with our people here.

9. Debbie Stewart says:

Lori: I think this format is fabulous! Short enought that busy people can take a few minutes and learn about a topic. I can see these used for
    training staff at Hardware Dealers and for Architects!

10. Jeramie says:

Lori – this is awesome! When I am trying to help educate for awareness with our employees, this quick type of video captures a lot! We do not expect everyone to be experts, but if it makes them think in the field and say, “Wait, that doesn’t appear right. I should probably look into this…” ITS A WIN! Look forward to others – I just wish I had the creativty for this!

11. Muhammad says: