Jan 30 2015

FF: Scenes from an Italian Restaurant

Category: Egress,Fixed-it FridayLori @ 12:13 am Comments (16)

I really love this restaurant, but every time I go I wonder if someone approved this egress arrangement or it just sorta happened as they were hanging the drapes.  It’s a fairly small restaurant but I’m guessing it has an occupant load of just over 50.  Excuse the romantic mood lighting…I didn’t want to draw attention to myself by using the flash.

I have sat at a long table in front of this former exit for several large group meals.  Notice the Fixed-it Friday exit sign:

Italian Restaurant 1a

To reach the main entrance / exit, you go behind the table in the background, through the opening in the curtains far left, past the hostess stand in the little vestibule, and to the door under the exit sign:

Italian Restaurant 3a

And to reach the second exit, you go between the bar (left) and open kitchen (right), through the opening in the curtain, and out the door:

Italian Restaurant 2a

Let’s take a poll…

16 Responses to “FF: Scenes from an Italian Restaurant”

Not a good set up.

Is it code compliant , depends on what year they moved in.

More than likely though, it had changed over the years

Count the chairs / table add about ten people and that should be close to the occupant load

Was it a restaurant prior to this one moving in?

3. Leonard Bankester says:

Is the lasagna good? Seriously I wouldn’t want to be eating there if the place caught on fire. Obviously no clear path to safety.

The food is fabulous but both of the exits are right next to the open kitchen so a small kitchen fire would be a big problem.

4. Jeffrey Rapp says:

Is it Sprinklered?

I doubt it, but how would that affect your analysis of the exits?

• Jeffrey Rapp says:

It doesn’t. Just curious.
        I voted “Not Sure”. That abandoned exit has AHJ written all over it so it makes me think someone was involved with the exiting arrangement here. “If it looks like a door/exit than it is a door/exit”. They were required to put the curtain up and mask or remove the exit sign. I can see the conversation now: Operator to Building Inspector: “I can’t afford to remove that door”. “What else can I do?”
        Believe me, my design specialty is in restaurants, and if this small operator here had he’s druthers he wouldn’t have covered that exit sign or that door unless directed too.

5. Bill Elliott says:

Is that Harris standing in front of the curtain? Looks good.

6. John Dalrymple says:

the exit signs are not visible because of the curtains so the exits are non-compliant.

7. cda says:

I just wonder what the place was prior to the restaurant??

anyway, Does the covered up exit dump into like a mall area, or enclosed building?? Does not look like it dumps to the outside. Just wondering

Not sure why it was approved that way