May 16 2014

FF: Unpickable Lock

Category: Fixed-it Friday,Locks & KeysLori @ 8:32 am Comments (18)

What do you think, lock fans?

18 Responses to “FF: Unpickable Lock”

1. Safecrackin Sammy says:

Hehehehehee!

Unpickable for a while perhaps…

I remember when a like type high security lock came out years ago…

A wet popsickle stick worked wonders on it….

2. Brian Rhodes says:

Who cares if the lock is unpickable if you can get your hands on an angle grinder?

3. Rachel Smith says:

That is one cool lock! I watched the whole video… fascinating. Wonder how much one costs?

4. Joel Niemi says:

Battery-powered grinder, applied to the U, will take care of this. That will be demonstrated after water, grit, ice, etc. have impaired the operation of the hidden mechanisms.

On the other hand, the puzzle-box approach IS clever.

5. Louise says:

Do you know what the metal is?
    What if I hit it with my sledge hammer and splitting wedge?
    What happens if it gets wet and frozen?
    Don’t drop the key. It’ll get lost for sure.

6. Ken Grayling says:

Consensus over here is that it’s a neat idea, but not for bikes.

If it were in place of a cylinder…..

7. nitramnaed says:

Houdini Proof?

8. Brad Keyes says:

Where is Harry Houdini when we need him?

9. Tom Breese says:

Some liquid nitrogen at the shackle and a hearty smack with a ball-peen hammer oughta ‘pick’ it.

10. Nelson says:

I like it!

11. Chuck says:

Nothing is “unpickable” With the right tools and enough time, any lock can be defeated.
    But pick-resistance aside, I am not impressed.
    There are too many moving parts! Be sure to keep it indoors in a controlled environment, because any exposure to moisture and extremely high or low temperatures is sure to mess it up!
    And if you’ve got big sausage fingers, you’ll probably drop that key about six or seven times before you get it successfully loaded in that hollow chamber. And those sausage fingers will have a hell of a time trying to extract the key back out of that chamber too.
    Gadget freaks will love this thing, but it’s definitely not for me.

12. Lloyd Seliber says:

That’s a very creative design, and I am sure there are good applications for it. The key insertion process has too many steps for me to use it as a bike lock, but other people may find it worth the effort. It looks like a bump key would be the most viable non-destructive attack. Foil impressioning requires protection over the foil on key insertion and that doesn’t look possible with this lock.
    It reminds me a little of the ILD http://www.navfac.navy.mil/navfac_worldwide/specialty_centers/exwc/products_and_services/capital_improvements/dod_lock/SecurityHardware/InternalLockingDevice.html

13. Fred Collier says:

I wonder what the rest of the lock is made of?
    These bile U locks have been broken at the cylinder end by placing a steel pipe over the post sticking out where the key is inserted and snapped where the U inserts the large locking bar.
    A lot less noise that a grinder.

It would be fun to test one of these with that approach in San Francisco or New York.

It is innovative and pretty to say the least though.

14. Dan Borkowicz says:

Too cool !!! very sharp love the color / must have one