Feb 17 2013

Doors Around Boston

Category: Doors & Frames,EgressLori @ 9:44 pm Comments (8)

On a weekend trip to Family Science Day, I saw these super-tall doors at the convention center:

Tall Doors

Tall Door

Can you spot the code issue with the convention center’s entrance doors below?

Balanced Doors Exterior

Balanced Doors Interior

Boston’s Faneuil Hall was built in 1742 as a meeting hall, and is now part of one of the most visited tourist sites in America.  I know these doors aren’t original since the building was destroyed by fire (except its brick walls) in 1761 and has been renovated several times.  But they’re quite old and an interesting design – one narrow swinging door and a set of bifold panels.

Folding Pair

Folding Pair

Knob

Old Lock

Lock

I’ve visited Quincy Market many times, but I never noticed that when the glass and aluminum entrance vestibules were added, the existing doors were left in the open position.  The existing doors (and hinge below) are visible through the glass on the side of the vestibule.

Old Door New Vestibule

Hinge

A couple of interesting door pulls on the South Market Building:

Snake Pull  L'Attitude Pulls

And I noticed this “extended lip” for an electric strike:

Electric Strike

8 Responses to “Doors Around Boston”

1. Don Cherry says:

Cross Bar exit devices are a no-go on balanced doors.

Did you push on the tall doors at the conv ctr?? If so did they move easy??

I wonder why in the second picture the doors swing that direction?

Balanced door bar should only extend 1/2 the width from the latch side

3. Chuck Park says:

The entrance doors are balance doors, and can not be opened if you are pushing on the pushbar from the center towards the hinge side.

4. Daniel Ferry, AHC says:

Entrance Doors:
    These are Balanced doors, per NFPA 101, panic hardware on balance doors should be push pad type, not cross bar, and the pad should not extend more than approximately half the door width.
    These cross bars extend full width.

I also seem to recall something about glass being directly behind a cross bar or push pad, but cannot find a reference to it anymore. Maybe I imagined that one.
    Dan Ferry, AHC

5. Dave Bishton says:

Push plate position on tall doors looks too high, unless you took photo on your knees.

6. Eyal Bedrik says:

The panic hardware shall be of the push-pad type

7. Clair E Gunnet Jr AHC says:

The only code issue I can see at the moment is the balanced door pivot may be considered to intrude on the 10 inch bottom rail for ADA. After 24 hours this is the best I can do!

No worries – it’s kind of an obscure code requirement. Balanced doors are required to have touchpad-style panics (not crossbar), and the actuating portion can’t extend past the half-way point on the door (approximately). With the crossbar devices, if you push on the wrong end, a balanced door won’t open.