Jan 03 2013

WWYD? Gate Operator

Category: Gates,WWYD?Lori @ 12:13 am Comments (9)

This is a tough one.  It’s for a project currently nearing occupancy, so I would love any comments or thoughts you have on a solution.  An automatic operator is required because of maneuvering clearance / level landing issues.  The gate is already in place.  A low energy operator is preferred.  The gate is exposed to the weather.  Any ideas?  If you need more information, ask away!

9 Responses to “WWYD? Gate Operator”

1. Chuck Park says:

While not intended for foot traffic or emergency egress, a driveway gate operator would not require overhead mounting as they usually mount mid-height on the gate.

Call Disney?? They have a lot of outside stuff

Interesting, sure I have seen outside opener, but have not seen one that was required.

3. Eric says:

I think you may need to step outside of our typical hardware lines for this. Google “gate automation” and you’ll find a lot of options. Some of them are pretty slim-line if aesthetics are a big concern.
    My local overhead door company also handles gates so I use them when I run into situations like this.

Hope you’re feeling better.

4. B says:

I have used Linear before on an exterior gate, I know JB in the office has used a couple others as well.

5. zeke says:

The Tormax TN hydraulic floor operator.

Hi Zeke –

Is the Tormax acceptable for exterior use? I’ve used it a few times but not where it was exposed to the weather.

6. Nathan Pelham says:

Any gate opener intended for vehicular use should never be used for pedestrian access, these openers are generally rated to move gates over 500 lbs and are not sensitive enough in general to reverse without injuring someone. Read any of the manuals for these openers and they will tell you that a separate pedestrian entrance must be provided. I happened to run across a product manufactured by the nice group called walky that may be what you are looking for but I haven’t ever used it and can’t seem to find any info on their website about it.

7. Fred Collier says:

NICE industries makes an operator for gates.
    The arm is pretty weak at the bend. I have seen them broken in the past.