Jan 02 2013

Starry Night

Category: Beautiful Doors,Locks & KeysLori @ 5:38 pm Comments (10)

I think this is the longest I’ve gone without posting!  I hope you all had a great New Year’s Eve!  I figured I could get some good relaxation time in during the holiday week, then I promptly injured a ligament in my ankle, which led to a major bout of sciatica that flattened me for days.  I’m hoping 2013 gets better!

Just before I left, Judy Zic from Walters and Wolf sent me a photo of a version of Vincent Van Gogh’s Starry Night – made out of knobs, levers, and escutcheons.  The mural was created by David Goldberg, owner of Union Hardware in Bethesda, Maryland.  I drove right by Bethesda on my way home from our holiday trip, and I stopped to check it out.

David used more than 1,250 knobs, levers, and escutcheons in the mural, and there is even some folklore associated with the piece.  Rub the Italian chrome lever in the center of the swirl, and you will dine on a sumptuous pasta dinner.  If you rub the German brass lever in the center of the swirl, someone will give you a case of beer.  And the crystal stars?  A large diamond ring or earrings is in your future.  I made sure to touch all of the above…still waiting on the diamonds and beer, but my husband made mac and cheese for dinner last night so maybe that counts for the pasta.  🙂

I visited Starry Night at night…you can see my reflection in all the polished chrome knobs.

Here’s a video of David and his creation with links to more articles and photos below, as well as a link to some more info about how Starry Night came to be – Union Hardware/Starry Night.

Hardware Starry Night: David Goldberg Use Doorknobs To Revive Van Gogh’s Masterpiece – Huffington Post

Awesome Starry Night mural made from over 1,000 doorknobs – Oddity Central

10 Responses to “Starry Night”

1. J. Peter Jordan says:

Is there a door hidden in here?

2. Tom Breese says:

Love it! Like, way cool! Will Mr. Goldberg be doing a self-portrait for his next work?

3. David Goldberg says:

Hi All.
    Lori and I just discovered each other today.
    I just subscribed to this website and look forward to looking over the past and reading more in the future. I have been digging hardware all my life. (3rd generation hardware guy)

Starry Night, Thanks for your support. I just finished a web page for it and have not put a link to it yet, so you all can be the first to see it.

Thanks for the link David! I’m going to add it to my blog post so everyone can read about how Starry Night came to be.

4. dp says:

Very creative David. I assume this is a front facing garage door and the colored light reflections hovering around Lori are from Christmas lights across the street? If so, what responses have you received from your neighbors?

• David says:

Hi dp.

This is a commercial building where my store is. I didn’t ask permission as that is asking for denial. It is on the side of the building still on a major street. The neighbors are thanking me for giving back to the community. The city even put a bench on the sidewalk facing starry night. This was built to last a long time. The lights are white LED and on 24/7 for the last year.
      Thanks for your interest.

5. Cathy Kopp says:

Awesome, David! Just one more in a long list of reasons that make doors and hardware fascinating!

Thanks for sharing, Lori!

6. tere says:

Always wanted to do something with hardware, what a great Idea!