Oct 03 2012

WW: Day Care Fire Exit

Category: Egress,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:10 am Comments (6)

This is the emergency exit for a day care center, sent in by Dwight Isaacs of US Homeware Inc.  If you look closely, you’ll see that the latch is up near the top of the jamb post, out of reach of the kids.  This seems like it could be a viable solution, except that in another situation when I asked all of my code official pals about how I could prevent a child with special needs from exiting out of a school without permission, most of them said that they would not allow a latch mounted above the range mandated by code.

What do you think?

6 Responses to “WW: Day Care Fire Exit”

1. Andy Lindenberg says:

Seems like it should be acceptable, with the understanding that there needs to be adult supervision 100% of the time. Very little chance of a child needing to use the gate unassisted. Better for their safety almost all the time.

2. Dave says:

I agree with Andy. This is a similar situation to our Psych. unit, only not secured with a key. Requires supervision 100% of the time for their well being.

3. Bob Monigle says:

This is just a primitive form of an access controlled egress device. I, too, agree with the others. If the kids are meant to leave, they are going to be with an adult.

Does it meet Ada?? No

Day cares seem to come up with interesting solutions to keep the children in

For got my solution supervise the children if they need to hire more do it

Here in Dfw area at least once a year a child is left in day care van with tragic results

6. Martin (aka Laux Myth) says:

Firstly, it is hardly wordless. LOL.

Sections of code which allow for detention speak of having 24/7/365 awake staff. In my experience, these staff know their responsibility too. I am doubtful the daycare staff also know of this. In my opinion, some coin could be spend and a maglock or such installed which on fire alarm could release. Far better than this solution.

Also, while hard to be certain of the model here, but this style of latch allows a padlock to be dropped on. This could easily become an open with key from either side gate. I would like a hardware solution which cuts this option off.