Oct 10 2012

WW: Airport Emergency Exit

On my way to Tucson I had a layover, and every single emergency exit door was set up similar to this one.Ā  Thoughts?

32 Responses to “WW: Airport Emergency Exit”

1. anon says:

What’s with the vertical rod device on a single leaf? Wouldn’t it be easier and less maintenance to use a rim device?

2. Jeff Tock says:

Let’s have a contest called ” guess that airport”. I say Raleigh.

3. Bob Caron says:

Are the far ends just held by magnets so they would easily pop off when your body hits them? If that reasoning works, then would the zip-tie dogging at the hotel quickly melt off in a fire like a poor man’s fusible link?

4. Dave says:

Nice chexit ! Apparently a nuisance alarm problem! Signage on the door should be above the chexit so it’s more visible.
    Needless to say straps should not be there. Certainly creative but not genius. Safety hazard!!

5. Darren Patton says:

My thought is there is no ramp or tunnel leading to an airplane,and if you go through the door its long drop to the earth.

6. Jon Payne Sr., CML says:

Hmmmm, the inevitable clash between the needs of security and the requirements of life safety. I think this facility has experienced a problem with people who can’t or won’t read the (poorly placed) Emergency Exit signs. Some people are just “door dumb” to coin a phrase. You know them. It’s the same person who won’t use the left hand door to exit when you are using the right hand door to enter.

Would delayed exit be allowed on such a door assuming it was over ridden by the fire alarm system?

“Door dumb” – I like it! That must be what makes people try to walk through the open leaf of a pair even when I’m on a ladder in the opening.

An airport is considered an Assembly occupancy and IBC doesn’t allowed delayed egress on Assembly, but most airports just request a variance and put delayed egress on all of these doors.

• Cda says:

Have seen the straps at other airports

I think it helps cut down on the all out security response to an opened door

Sign of the times, most airports are big enough that exiting is not an issue

Federal government at work

Surprise does not have the sign

8. Curtis Meskus says:

keeps the lost out of jail for being on the tarmac

9. Nolan says:

It could be a three point device which is listed for use on a single door.
    It could be that there are no stairs behind that door, but I can’t see through the window.

I looked at some of my other photos and I don’t think it’s a 3-point device. I do think there were stairs outside the door. I just realized that I’m flying back through O’Hare so I won’t be able to check, but next time someone’s at Dallas-Fort Worth you can let us know. I will try to be more detailed in my assessment (without getting arrested) next time.

10. Ken Adkisson says:

When I saw the vertical rod device and the reference to Tucson, I was wondering if maybe the vertical rod had something to do with Tornado protection. As for the straps, I’ve never seen that before but I am wondering if maybe it has to do with excessive alarm activation and the straps maybe do not prevent egress but do clearly get someone’s attention. I wouldn’t think code would allow for that since it might cause someone to think the exit cannot be used. Another possibility might be that at certain times, the opening cannot be used for egress because of something happening on the other side of the door, sort of an AHJ compromise.

These were throughout the airport so I don’t think it’s an issue of something going on outside the door. I talked to someone at another airport and asked if the straps would be allowed there and the answer was a definite NO.

• Wayne Ficklin says:

Here they don’t mount straps to the wall but put them on stantions before the door to “guide” egress to other doors. I’ll have to remember to send you some of my more interesting pictures.

11. Jack Ostergaard says:

Door Dumb 101 – it is a class taught at the Midvale School for the Gifted. Oh come on tell me that you all don’t have the Larson cartoon framed on your wall.

12. Robert says:

Morning everyone
    I see that there is a couple things with just a quick look but have to ask. Is the panic a 9927 or 9957 a 3 point panic as a 3 point is good way to set up security. The thing I see is a foot bolt flip down? and on the panic bar is a key dogging? Now for the security of the airport is it a good idea for dogging?
    Now for the signage straps well I think better signs are out there for the exits as the sign in words is a bit small and low too. we are quessing on why the signs are there as there are no alarm signs to be seen in a proper line of sight as they are on the bottom half of the door.
    The fire pull station is a little bit off the mark for being at the exit and were is the fire extinguisher?
    Hey but I am from Canada A

13. Jerry Austin says:

Looks very much like a Beltrac retractable ribbon barrier. It has a message on it saying: “Fire Exit Only”. The adjacent fire load looks very light but I think people forget that doors equipped with panic bars are more handy unencumbered in both a fire situation and a non-fire situation like fleeing some crazy person who has just been told after being delayed 4 times in 5 hours that the flight has been completely canceled and to “have a nice day”. You know.

14. Chuck Park says:

Lori: “That must be what makes people try to walk through the open leaf of a pair even when Iā€™m on a ladder in the opening.”

That is de rigueur no matter where you go! If there’s a bank of ten doors, people will gravitate to the one that’s partially propped open with someone on a ladder in the middle of the opening. They’ll try to squeeze through, using up far more time and energy than just using one of the other doors.

As an Institutional Locksmith, I learn as much about psychology and human behavior as I do about doors and hardware on a day-to-day basis.