Dec 21 2011

WW: Going Nowhere

Category: Egress,Panic Hardware,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 10:12 am Comments (6)

This photo was sent in by Pat Bond of Shanahan’s in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.  Thanks Pat!

6 Responses to “WW: Going Nowhere”

1. Travis Willis says:

It almost looks like there is a hook on the end of the chain going back to the paddle lock? Might be their idea of a quick release LOL. Very industrial situation with a tube steel “door”, think the devices stands out? This could be another post for your stealth device applications maybe?

2. Hal says:

Maybe there is a sign on the door that reads: ” This is not an EXIT, please run for your life in another direction.”

3. Bill Berryman says:

Lori,
    An old hardware friend of mine used to laugh when he was asked the “difference between an Exit Device and a Panic Device?”. Believing a picture is worth a thousand words,…this picture is without a doubt the “poster child” for a “Panic Device!”
    Thanks,
    Bill

4. Martin B of Laux Myth says:

First, amazed to see another photographer from my city. I know the company but not Pat Bond directly. Hello Pat!

Also, thanks Bill for the great way to explain a panic device. Getting to such a door in a crisis is a good time to panic.

5. Wayne Ficklin says:

Lori, unfortunately this is a common sight in Las Vegas schools after school hours. I went to an early orientation for my son during the summer and half of the front doors were still chained. I’m trying to change the situation but so far the schools are far more worried about theft than life safety.

I’m sorry to hear that Wayne. It amazes me that people get all upset when something happens – like the kid who got locked in the school stairwell for 9 hours, but most people don’t think/care much about it the rest of the time. There are many examples of improper egress resulting in death. Unfortunately that’s what it takes to bring attention to these situations, and people eventually forget and go back to their old ways until it happens again.