Stairwell doors can be one of the more complicated applications in an access control system, because of the code requirements that apply to the interior doors used to access the stairs. When the stair doors are locked on the stair side to secure the tenant floors, these doors are often required to allow building occupants to leave the stairwell if it becomes compromised by smoke during a fire.
No matter how many times I write about the stairwell reentry requirements, questions continue to arise. One of this week’s Webinar Wednesday sessions will tackle some of the considerations for access control systems on stairwell doors, along with 3 other classes offered by our national trainers this week (all times are Eastern Daylight Time):
- 10:00am – 11:00am: Electrified Hardware – Wiring Choices
- Selecting the correct wire for electromechanical locking devices and electronic access control systems is critical for the proper operation of those devices and systems. If terms such as volts, amps, plenum-rated, and shielded leave you scratching your head, this webinar is for you. Allegion’s senior product trainer, Gordon Malczewski, will show you how to read labels on various types of cables and help you select the proper cable based on factors such as operating voltage, current rating, wire lengths, and the installation environment.
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm: Servicing Schlage AD Series Locks and Peripherals with Schlage Utility Software
- Schlage Utility Software (SUS) is a robust tool that not only is used to set-up and secure your Schlage AD Series products, it can also help you maintain peak performance from your devices. During their lifecycle, troubleshooting, servicing, and occasional updates of your networked AD devices may be required, and this is the tool that helps you perform these tasks. This session will help you to achieve optimal performance of your AD components. John Dalrymple, our Electronics Training Manager, will lead this session.
- 2:00pm – 3:00pm: Access Control for Stairwells
- Stairwell openings provide unique challenges for hardware and security professionals. As fire-rated openings, they must meet the requirements as defined by our building codes. And, as stairwell openings, there are another set of requirements set by our building codes around re-entry requirements. In the event of a fire, the codes want to ensure no one gets caught in a smoke-filled stairwell. Join Jeff Tock, our End User Training Manager, to learn more about how to meet these very important requirements while also addressing a multi-story building’s access control needs.
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm: Schlage and Von Duprin Power Supplies
- Are you responsible for selecting, ordering, or advising others on the right power supply for electrified openings? In this session, learn about the Schlage and Von Duprin power supplies and when to use each. You will also become familiar with the seven different option boards and the appropriate applications for those boards. Jeff Tock, our End User Training Manager, will lead this session.