I think it’s safe to say that “back-to-school” looks different for everyone this year. Our whole family is locked down for 14 days in preparation for my 9th-grader to enter a quarantine pod for the semester, where she will study online but live with other kids. My college student is on campus, but taking most of her classes from her dorm room, and my 10th-grader will be attending Zoom classes from his bedroom. We’re all trying to get used to the “new normal.”
This Thursday, August 27th at 2 p.m. Eastern, Paul Timm will be presenting a webinar addressing guidance and principles to aid school administrators in decision-making and help return to school safely. Schools face the difficult task of conducting mandatory emergency drills, such as Evacuation and Lockdown, during a time of social-distancing restrictions. Visitor management and student movement will also be impacted. How should potential adjustments be approached?
Paul is a board-certified Physical Security Professional, a nationally acclaimed expert in physical security (featured on PBS and Fox News), and is certified in Vulnerability Assessment Methodology (VAM) through Sandia National Labs and ALPHA™ Vulnerability Assessment Method.
Safe and Sound Schools has hosted 6 webinars to help you plan and prepare for back-to-school, and the recordings are all available on their Youtube channel. You can check them out here:
- Socially Just Practices for Safe and Sound Schools with Dr. Charles A. Barrett
- Social Emotional Considerations (SEL) for Reopening Schools with Dr. Melissa Reeves
- Safety and Security Considerations for School Health: A Panel Moderated by Michele Gay (with my Allegion coworker, Ken Cook)
- Plans A-Z: Operational Considerations for Schools Through a Pandemic with John McDonald
- School Health Planning Through a Pandemic with Julie Wilken & Kevin Carroll
- The Role of Police in Our Schools: A Panel Moderated by Michele Gay
Our national trainers will be continuing their Webinar Wednesday series, with the following classes scheduled for this week. The links to register are on the Allegion virtual event calendar.
- 10:00am – 11:00am: Creating a Path to Safety*
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm: Electrified Hardware for Access Control Systems and Security
- 2:00pm – 3:00pm: K-12: Designing for Layered Security
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm: Steelcraft Door & Frame Construction and Application
* The webinar on Creating a Path to Safety will be the last training class presented by Shawn Mahoney, who is retiring this month after a 36-year career. Shawn began as a plating supervisor for Schlage and progressed through many other positions with the company. I know that many of us have benefited from Shawn’s classes – I have attended several over the years. Wednesday’s our last chance! Congrats and many thanks to Shawn!!