Sep 10 2018

Spam and a UHP

What’s a UHP?  An Unidentified Hardware Product.  But first, a note about spam – and not the canned ham-like version.  iDigHardware gets a lot of spam.  I’m not taking it personally – I think this is a common problem with blogs – but iDH has received over 15,000 spam comments in the last 2 weeks.  Here’s one of the less-racy messages:

While I appreciate hearing from y’all, the spam is overwhelming (and no, I’m not single).  The spam-blocker I’ve been using has been having trouble lately, and I know it has been frustrating for some of you to post a comment and then be asked repeatedly if you are a robot.  I know you’re not robots, and I want to hear from you!  The problem is that some people are able to comment, and some are not.  Some perfectly legitimate comments are getting stuck in the spam filter, and some spam comments are getting through.  If I haven’t responded to you, this may be why.  I’m trying to get to the root of the issue.

So I’m going to ask again if some of you will attempt to leave a comment on this post.  You can tell me what the UHP below is, suggest a topic for a future post, or tell me what iDH has done for you lately – anything!  If your comment will not go through, please email me and tell me what happened.

And now for the UHP…does anyone recognize these surface bolts?

Photos sent by Rick Becker of Block Iron and Supply Company.

Recent Posts

23 Responses to “Spam and a UHP”

1. Rachel Smith says:

You keep me connected to an industry that has supported my family for at least 65 years. Thanks.

You know…it always bummed me out that people would retire from the industry and we would lose all of their expertise and knowledge. I know quite a few people who have retired and still read iDigHardware and comment, or send me emails, or even call me. I cherish these connections and appreciate having access to so many decades of experience. I wonder if I will still read iDigHardware when I retire. Haha.

Happy Birthday!

2. GARY A HUIZEN says:

Home made stainless door housing using a spring latch with a chain pull

3. Austin Bammann says:

That looks like something you’d see on a bathroom stall door.

4. David Kozuchar says:

Comment test, for test of comments.

I enjoy Idighardware; it’s a great resource to refer to.

5. Bob Caron says:

You have to keep up with that spam or bad things happen. I was a regular poster at another blog and the owner just didn’t have the time to keep the spam away. Lots of really good people got fed up with the mess and never came back. After about a year of that, the owner wiped ALL the comments away to start all over again. I criticized him gently and begged him to check in regularly and keep it cleaned up and he blocked me. I think there are ways to not only block spammy users but you can block IP addresses so that the same person can’t just come in under a different name.

6. Mark Gruessing says:

I agree. Homemade positively latching hardware…

7. Jack Ostergaard says:

I’m also going with a homemade (which doesn’t do justice to it – looks like a nice job) latch bolt. Don’t quite understand the gravity coordinator – left over?

8. Raymond Holman says:

Looks like a local distributor’s answer to a customer’s request. A commercial version would have beveled sides to deflect impacts. These look like 90 degree bends. No strike at the top image so it’s not doing much good.

9. LarryG says:

Perhaps creating user accounts for access to comment might help reduce / eliminate spam?

Hi Larry –

That might help, but in my experience people don’t really like having to register. I’ve already got it set up so that I have to approve every comment before it gets posted, but I need the spam filter to filter out the thousands of obvious spam comments so I can just look at the rest.

10. amber says:

This has me stumped and I’m curious as to what it is. Closest thing I can figure is a cover over a slide bolt.

Love this blog – I never thought I’d find hardware so entertaining. 🙂

11. Dave Snell, AHC says:

My question is why have a coordinator? If this is a fire rated door is the hardware UL Listed?

12. Adaguy says:

Cap, coordinator and closer removed (note holes), M & O answer to user request.

13. Joel Kocevar says:

We use cloudflare in front of our web server to restrict spam customers. (It’s free)

Completely automated and when the spammers try to go to your site they are presented with a captcha.

Many of these spammers are operating out of click farms and cloudflare learns their IP addresses in real time and challenges them before they can visit your site

Your web team would have to edit your DNS routing with your register / web host to make it work.

Now, if only I could stop the spam phone calls to my cell as easily!

14. Rick says:

I’ve been a follower for years and I really appreciate the guidance and educational content of your blog. It is a sane and sensible approach to so many issues that the general public takes for granted or ignore. As a Certified Fire Safety Inspector in the State of Ohio (Local AHJ) it is a constant vigil to keep the faith of the legacy of the Codes. And, because it is Ohio, there are additional challenges every day thanks to the politics. It is good to know you and my peers are behind me back there.

Thanks Rick! I got a first-hand look at the politics in Ohio during the legislative process to allow barricade devices. I had not had much experience with how that all works until then – I didn’t think there was any chance that the state legislators who had little or no experience with codes would prevail over the concerns of the code officials. I have now been schooled, as they say.

15. Sara Fares says:

I’ve seen similar center door sections where they used attached push locks to hold / remove the center post for removal for wide equipment going through the doorway.

Hi Sara –

You might be describing a removable mullion for the rim panic hardware. That’s my first choice for pairs of doors, but the product in the photos is attached to the doors.

This website or its third party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.

Feedback