When someone pushes the button, they then have to make sure they are out of the way so the door doesn’t hit them. The actuator mounting guidelines are included in this Decoded article, but here’s the abbreviated version from the A156.19 standard:
Actuators should be…
• mounted within one to five feet from the door but not more than twelve feet
• accessible from the swing side when the door is open
• not in a location where the user would be in the path of the moving door
• mounted so the user can see the door when activating the switch
• an installation height of 34 inches minimum and 48 inches maximum above the floor
State and local codes may include additional requirements for actuators (some are covered in the Decoded article).
Thank you to Bruce Tinsley of Lanmor Services for the photo!