I have read this first article several times and asked my codey friends for their thoughts. None of us could come up with any national building code requirement for a closer on a non-fire-rated exterior door. But then again…I try to avoid arguing with a building official. What say you?
Albany Firefighters want business owners to remember they are required to have automatic door closure devices on their outside doors for fire safety.
Look at how those flames are roaring into that window. That is the air being pulled inside and feeding that fire, making it even bigger and more intense. That is why there are building codes that businesses must have automatic door closure devices on their outside doors, to prevent that air from rushing into buildings on fire.
Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris said “So when the last person comes out of the door, what happens is it closes itself and seals itself off. So the fire can’t get oxygen which therefore allows people a longer time to escape a burning building.”
Firefighters say some business owners disagree with building codes and inspectors requiring them to have those automatic closure devices, but say they will help limit the size of fires and could save lives.
Rethinking fire safety at school – KAALtv
Considering the condition of many of the doors that are supposed to compartmentalize our schools, I’m not sure I agree with this. What do you think?
“The Fire Marshall has stated that in buildings that have sprinkler systems put in, the preferred method is not to evacuate if there was a fire,” said principal Dewey Schara, who is also a member of the Austin school district’s safety committee.
“We have detectors showing exactly what part of the building the fire is in.”
“Actually what detector is going off or what sprinkler head or what’s actually going off,” added the Austin Fire Department’s Terry Peterson. “Sprinklers spray a tremendous amount of water on that area instantaneously.”
Many schools are also equipped with automatic doors that will close as soon as fire alarms go off.
“Teachers will open up the doors, take a look, if there’s no smoke down there they can proceed down those hallways. If there is smoke, they can stay right where they’re at,” the fire department’s Terry Peterson told us.
Closed bedroom door saves woman from flat fire – Newsquest
Firefighters say the woman, who lived in the flat, was saved by her bedroom door being closed.
A neighbour raised alarm after smelling smoke and seeing blackened windows in a neighbouring ground floor flat in Wyndham Park, Prestwich, off Clifton Road at around 10.15am on Sunday.
Firefighters entered the home and found severe smoke damage to all of the rooms except for a bedroom, where the occupant, a woman, aged in her 40s, was sleeping, with her door shut and was unaware of the blaze. She was taken to North Manchester General Hospital as she was suffering from effects of smoke inhalation.
Violations found at site of garage worker’s drowning – New York Times
As the storm struck the city on Oct. 29, “exit doors were locked” in the garage, investigators said in their report, issued last month. “The employer did not ensure that employees will be able to open an exit route door from the inside.”
Of the four exit doors, three were closed, investigators said. The garage manager said after the storm that he had left one locked door propped open to allow the two workers inside a pathway to the lobby of the luxury condominium building above. One worker escaped as the waters rose; Mr. Narh did not make it out.
But propping open a fire door is also a violation of safety regulations, the report said, because it can allow smoke and fire to spread.
“We have no higher priority than ensuring the safety of our children,” Pence said in the release. “In combination with our administration’s school safety working group, the legislation I sign today will provide new resources to make our schools safer so our teachers can focus on education and our kids can simply be kids.”
SEA 1 outlines required training for school resource officers and establishes the Secured School Safety Board to evaluate local safety plans and develop best practices for school resource officers. The legislation also provides matching grants of up to $50,000 to assist schools in conducting threat assessments and purchasing safety equipment and technology.
A sports car driver took his new £46,000 Porsche to the supermarket – and crashed into the store when he got his gears mixed up.
Staff feared the store was being ram raided when the sports car smashed into the fire escape doors.
But the driver admitted it was all an accident, caused when he put the white convertible Porsche Carrera into first gear instead of reverse.
Fire crews were called to free it from the budget Aldi store in Cardigan.
Store manager Tom Jones said: “It was a complete accident, the chap who had the crash had just bought the car.
“He thought it was in reverse and accelerated straight into the fire exit in his brand new Porsche.
Pensioner praised after shower fire – The Gazette (photo)
Les Munday, fire team safety leader, based in Fleetwood, praised the woman’s response in slamming shut the bathroom door, adding: “The actions of the woman saved what is a very serious fire from spreading out into the remainder of her apartment.
“The pictures show very graphically what a fantastic job a closed door will do to prevent the spread of a fire.
“This gives valuable time for residents to escape from the property and helps keep escape routes clear of smoke and fumes. This is why we tell people to keep doors shut when they are asleep.”
Duval County Courthouse fails another fire test; price to fix problems is unclear – The Florida Times Union
A “fire watch” that was set up this month on six floors of the 800,000-square-foot building is still in effect in the west wing of the fourth, fifth and sixth levels.
Part of the problem there is that doors designed to slide out from the walls and seal off parts of the building aren’t closing completely, meaning a fire could potentially spread from one area to another.
Earlier tests had also found doors that dropped from the ceiling weren’t working as designed, but that had apparently been resolved by this week.
Fire engineer Steve Kowkabany wrote that the doors “continue to be the Achilles heel of the smoke control systems,” and that “very minor issues” such as a push-button touching the door could cause it to retract back into a wall.
The door manufacturer is working on ways to fix those problems.
The graphic included with this very sad story illustrates the security between animal cages and the staff – even the public. I don’t know for sure if the photo on this page is of the actual door, but it’s a simple slide bolt. Is this adequate?
The zoo confirmed in a statement the door between the 5ft by 20ft staff area was “wide open” and the slides to the outdoor areas were left open.It added: “We are convinced this was not anything but an accident caused by human error. The two horizontal slides and the den door were in full working order at that time and this was documented by police.”
According to a report from Nashua fire officials, the resident of the apartment had discovered an oven fire, then opened exterior sliding door, as well as the oven door and then exited the building leaving their apartment door open.
“Nashua Fire Rescue reminds all residents that in the event of these types of incidents, shut the oven off and leave the door closed. Evacuate and call 911 to report your emergency,” a press release from Nashua Fire Rescue stated. “When evacuating in a multifamily building (apartments/condos/etc), be certain to close the apartment unit to hallway door. This will prevent the smoke and/or fire from spreading into the exit corridors and adjacent areas.”
And finally, some random “funnies”…