Sep 15 2017

FF: Seriously Specific Signage

Category: Fixed-it Friday,SignageLori @ 12:05 am Comments (11)

This makes me wonder what incident prompted the need to control which leaf is used for entrance/egress – especially on full-glass doors.

Thank you to Steve McKinney for the photos!

11 Responses to “FF: Seriously Specific Signage”

1. lach says:

To me it kinda looks like a double egress opening. Maybe just to have clarity on the flow of traffic? But on the point you ask there was most likely no incident that prompted this. As a former employee of this chain (not this location specifically). These types of signs get sent out by headquarters for posting. Usually by someone who is trying to prevent something from causing an incident.

2. cda says:

Well you know Ronald,

Sounds like control for children playing in the play area, and after certain hours, they may lock access to the area

3. Louise says:

The thing I like about the signs is, with the backlighting, if you already have difficulty reading English, or have bad eyesight, you might not be able to easily decipher the messages.

4. Dan says:

From the closers it looks like each leaf swings different direction, but the hardware doesn’t match? I can also imagine a gang of little kids each side of door push against each other.

5. Austin B says:

Do this, don’t do that! Can’t you read the signs?!?
    Sorry, it’s Friday and it’s been a long week!

6. Bryan McKeehan says:

Some people just don’t get that one should walk as they drive. In the U.S. that would be to the right. To all that crowd through on my right I ask; Kiwi, Brit, you don’t look Japanese?

7. Blake Nelson says:

I would guess a small child got knocked silly by a door leaf coming at them. Possibly pushed open by another child. Establishment is trying to cover themselves (cheaply). How many adults will actually take the time to read and understand though? Taking the pull (target) off the LHR leaf would help.

8. Tim S says:

I’ve been lurking for a while, but this one is too intriguing to say nothing. I see what looks like a hinge on the leaf on the left, but no such hardware on the other leaf. Is this perhaps an unintentional not-quite-double-egress frame that was given two hinge jambs of the same hand instead of one of each handing? The closers are certainly installed on opposite sides, and the lighting along the sills on the bottom suggests that the distance to the two leaves might be different…

9. Jim Elder says:

Is this a “Norman Door”

10. rb says:

The only big issue is whether they need the full width of the double door for egress because the right leaf is a push INTO the play space. In the place space, the left leaf does not swing out.

11. Blake Nelson says:

Most of you have better eyesight than me. It was so dark I didn’t see the evidence of DE!