May 04 2017

Fire Destroys School in Mesquite Texas

Category: News,School Security,VideosLori @ 9:55 am Comments (8)

Following up on my earlier post about school security and safety, here’s a report from Fox 4 News about a school fire that occurred just yesterday.  Evacuating students and staff quickly was crucial in preventing casualties.  Can anyone give me a good reason to make a code change that would potentially increase that evacuation time?

8 Responses to “Fire Destroys School in Mesquite Texas”

1. alex sency says:

this tragedy may change the minds of the code changers. or at the least make them stop and think.

2. Glen Buckner, AIA says:

Lori: Are you trying to increase the hourly rating on the building, (how about steel structure only) – looks all wood structure to me, any word on sprinkler system, I am guessing no

Hi Glen –

I don’t know anything about the construction of this building. My point is that allowing locks that require 2 operations to exit could affect evacuation time.

3. James Slemmons says:

Is there data available on which is more frequent, active shooters or emergencies where rapid egress is more important (fires, etc.)? Although shootings get more coverage in the news, statistically they seem less frequent than other emergencies…but I have no hard data.

Hi James –

There are some stats at the end of the article that I think are pretty compelling.

• Joe Hendry says:

Plus, evacuation is the preferred response for active shooter. Not staying in the building with people trying to kill you.

4. Joe Hendry says:

You’re right. So the officers who arrived did not have breaching equipment. I’m guessing the majority of police cars don’t carry it around. I don’t know anything about law enforcement, but it seems like that would at least double the response time, if the first units have to call for a specific piece of equipment and wait for it to arrive. I remember reading a news report after the West Nickel Mines school shooting, in which the police talked about their difficulty entering the school because the doors were barricaded with materials the shooter had brought with him. Meanwhile, the woman in the article could have bled to death, or an active shooter could hear the breaching activities and react (like at Platte Canyon High School). Know anyone who could get me some statistics about law enforcement door-breaching difficulties and protocols?