Mar 02 2017

WWYD? Panic Hardware Corrosion

Category: Panic Hardware,WWYD?Lori @ 12:08 am Comments (23)

An architect recently sent me a question and I could use some suggestions from y’all.  I know what I would do, but I’d like to hear other ideas.

There are 4 pairs of doors involved, and each leaf is 4 feet wide x 9 feet 4 inches in height.  They are part of a curtainwall system on the entrance to an urban transportation facility, so they are subject to high use and possibly some abuse.  The doors are in the open position much of the time and there is no protection from the weather, so the existing panic hardware has begun to rust.  There is a fair amount of wind which affects the closers, and the doors are currently hung on pivots.

WWYD to resolve these issues?

23 Responses to “WWYD? Panic Hardware Corrosion”

Since the doors are open the majority of the time, and if locked, done by someone.

Just get rid of the panic hardware, and install a push/ pull bar or similar.

I think the occupant load is too high for a double-cylinder deadbolt, so if the doors have any sort of a lock it would have to be panic hardware.

2. Brian Payne says:

Remove them and install a different door type, probably an automatic sliding door. Actual use of the doors has proved that the design was not right for the client.

3. Blake Erickson says:

Replace them with Automatic Sliders

4. John Rein, AHC says:

I’d call Andy Lindenberg, consultant extraordinaire, and get his input. Andy can figure out a good solution.

5. Chuck Park says:

Automatic Sliding Doors?

6. Jim Elder says:

How about a simple cantilever awning? Drip cap on the door may also help (at least when the door is closed)

7. Eric Rieckers says:

Not to do a shameless plug, but for doors exposed to the weather I prefer to specify the Detex weatherized exits. I’ll typically specify a clear powder coat for hardware in corrosive environments like indoor swimming pools.

8. Ed Harris says:

I agree, sliders make sense in this location.

9. Clair E Gunnet Jr AHC says:

Remove the panic hardware and have it powder coated locally.

10. Pete Schifferli says:

Those doors are just too large and heavy for any application, let alone a high use/abuse one, a classic example where the architect is more concerned with appearance than practicality. Continuous hinges might provide some relief of the load, but I agree with those who have suggested sliders. If those are VD 98/99 touchbars, I think they are aluminum and stainless steel and could not “rust” but the finish has definitely deteriorated.

11. Keith K says:

Maybe if they did some cleaning and maintence on them once a month or so they would be fine. They make stainless cleaners….. They look filthy. They would be fine.

12. Tony Klagenberg says:

How about using exits in US28 finish. Possibly doors with mid rails and Impact devices in US28.

13. Miles Hardaway says:

I second the Detex weatherized devices. This setup will not void its warranty.

14. alex sency says:

Von Duprin offers a stainless steel option. it is solid not plated.

15. Audrey Wyser says:

Precision has a new “weatherized” 626W finish for its Apex 2000 exit devices. The material of the panic is chrome plated over brass and is intended for exterior use, natatoriums and water treatment facilities. It has passed testing to get certifications MIL-STD-810G 521.4 Icing/Freezing Rain and others. It resists rust, corrosion, and salt air over the full life of the product.

16. Krystina says:

I would trade what I could for stainless steel or anodized aluminum and put weep holes in it to drain the water to help with the rust. If this, nor the sliding doors will work, then I suggest simply removing the hold-open feature on the doors. They already have cylinder dogging, they probably don’t NEED to be held open most of time. What did you actually end up doing?

17. Patrick Sullivan says:

Replace the hardware and keep the doors closed! I don’t know if this is a vestibule or not but it’s certainly adding to their utilities to keep these doors open all the time.

Barring the common sense solution, automatic doors (sliding or otherwise) would be natural. Or perhaps a full-panel overhead door (not a sectional garage-door) with egress door panels built in would be possible. Would require a structural retrofit but it would work.

Some kind of awning or cover would be another alternative, but it would have to be pretty extensive if the doors are open most of the time.

18. Kent Usher says:

Agreeing with Mr. Elder’s canopy. Also walls for wind protection.

19. dave lorentzen says:

years ago wasn’t a epoxy coated exit device available?

20. Khozema Kazi, AHC, FDAI says:

With regular maintenance, nothing rusts. Without regular maintenance even stainless steel will corrode. So the answer is replace the exit device with a same new one and clean/lubricate very regularly especially because of the location.