Mar 22 2017

WW: Blinds

Category: Egress,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:13 am Comments (9)

A fire marshal sent me this photo, and I’m Wordless (again).  How does anyone think this is acceptable???

9 Responses to “WW: Blinds”

1. Louise says:

I’m curious, to the readers and door geeks, what do you say when you see something like this?
    Do you talk to the manager, leave and not go back, tell Lori?

2. Joe Glaski says:

Lori,

Lol,

No its not acceptable, although looking at the picture can the window be mistaken as a egress window like those you see for your home basements? I realize that a stretch….

3. Joel Niemi says:

what, they forgot to post the “in case of emergency, use table to press panic bar through blinds” sign – AGAIN?

4. Rich McKie says:

In my case timely. Earlier this week I removed a set of mini-blinds from a fire exit door in a school library.
    Not as elaborate but still a violation.
    I’m sure I’ll hear about it when the librarian returns from spring break, but I’ve reached the point where I
    no longer put up with violations, particularly in places where different groups rotate in and out and may not be
    familiar with their surroundings should an emergency occur.

• Jerry Austin says:

Excellent. This is a true story. Once upon a time, many years ago, there was a school building where the occupants decided that the fire marshal’s prohibition of storage in a room in a basement stairwell could be ignored. The room was not legal in that it was unoccupied and was filled to the door with combustible storage and it was not even minimally separted. After the second instance of ignoring a written citation, the Fire Marshal stopped by the Principal’s office and laid it on the line. “Get that storage out today and keep it out.” The Principal was defiant and stated he was tired of their mindless regulations and the storage would stay. About 30 minutes later, two armed policemen accompanied by an Assistant City Attorney, took the Principal into custody. The Superintendent of Schools was required to respond to Central Police headquarters and provide bail for his employee. I left that community when I moved jobs but I hear there has been good cooperation over the years.

Hi Jerry –

For whatever reason, it seems like some AHJs won’t go to these lengths to uphold the codes today. Maybe it’s political?

5. Terry Crump, FDAI says:

What did the fire marshal do about it? It no longer functions as a doorway, so did he/she have the restaurant return it to a functioning means of egress, or did he have them remove the exit sign?
    I notice the closer body is still attached to what might have been a header, but there’s no arm attached. After typing all these words, I’m now wordless.

6. Eric says:

Totally unacceptable. I can’t stand it when the sun is blinding me during dinner. The blinds need to be all the way down and completely closed.

I just encountered a similar scenario but without the blinds. A table right in front of an exit door in a restaurant. I told the owner it was a violation on my way out. When I went back about 2 months later, it was still there.

7. Karl Seaman says:

Open the door and your eating El Fresco. Its an option just like an exit seat on a Plane, They ask you if you can operate a blind and a thumbturn SF latch and help everyone out of the building. You get a free drink for every assisted patron.