Dec 19 2016

Schlage LM9200

Category: Egress,Locks & KeysLori @ 1:18 pm Comments (11)

I’m usually pretty good at hardware identification, even though the kids think it’s weird when I point out Von Duprin panics during movies and TV shows (especially in front of their friends).  A couple of weeks ago I was in our office in Carmel, and I noticed something about the conference room doors.  Do you see what caught my eye?

Typically a pair like this would have flush bolts on one leaf and a lever handle on the other.  When flush bolts are used, the inactive leaf is not allowed to have a dummy lever, push rail, or other hardware that would indicate that the inactive leaf can be opened.  So when I saw the levers on both leaves, I thought, “Don’t my coworkers read iDigHardware?!”

When I went to take a closer look (and instant-messaged the product manager), I realized that both of these doors are equipped with Schlage LM9200 two-point latches.  Although this is a more expensive solution than using flush bolts on the inactive leaf, each leaf operates independently, so having levers on both leaves is code-compliant.  The problems that are common with automatic flush bolts and coordinators are avoided when using levers on both leaves, and there are some applications where it’s desirable to have both leaves operable without opening one door first.

The Schlage LM9200 can be installed on wood or hollow metal doors, and incorporates the concealed vertical cables that are used in Von Duprin CVC devices.  There are 13 functions available (mechanical and electrified), and 30 lever designs to suite with other Schlage and Von Duprin products.  The product is listed for use on fire doors, and may be supplied “LBL” (less bottom latch).  Refer to the data sheet for more information, including specific information on fire door listings.

11 Responses to “Schlage LM9200”

1. Ryan Pfeiffer says:

What type of door are those? I would not have guessed they were not standard wood doors from the first picture.

2. Jerry Richmond, AHC/CDC says:

These doors have to be Steelcraft’s Grain-Tech, or somebody is going to be in trouble!

I have recently furnished an application like this for a fancy conference room using Sargent’s multi-point locks with Eggers stile & rail full glass wood doors and Rixson floor closers. The opening looks real nice and functions smooth.

3. David DeFilippo says:

How big is the room? Are the doors swinging against egress ?

The doors do swing into the room but the occupant load is much less than 50 people (maybe 12-15 people) so inswinging doors are code-compliant.

4. Scott Woodward says:

Where can I get that paint, “Sherwin Williams – Allegion Orange” I bet.

5. lach says:

You have to be careful on using these LM9200 locks in fire doors. They are only rated up to 45 minutes. We’ve had jobs that the spec writer listed them in 60 minute and 90 minute openings. Not sure if Steelcraft has tested for a higher rating but as far as my wood door manufacturers tell us we cannot use them any higher than that.

Yes – it’s always important to check what is allowed by the listings of the door manufacturers on the project. It’s one of the million pesky coordination things that make doors and hardware so much fun. 😀

• Maksood says:

I think the LM9200s are rated up to 60 minutes.

6. Chuck Noble, CFPE, CFI-1 says:

They look good! Nice job.