Aug 17 2016

WW: Trouble in Texarkana

Category: FDAI,Fire Doors,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:03 am Comments (19)

As many of you know, I moved to Mexico last summer to spend a year living there with my family; we love living in San Miguel de Allende so much that we decided to stay longer.  Since we are moving from a furnished house into an unfurnished house, we are moving some of our favorite things from our house in Massachusetts to our house in Mexico.  I may have underestimated the amount of effort this move would take – especially since we had car trouble on the trip south.  I am writing this blog post from a hotel in Texarkana, Arkansas, where I saw the Wordless Wednesday door in the photos below while waiting for the car to be fixed.  I hope that by the time you read this post I will be back on the road.  Fingers crossed!

This stair door in our hotel is one of the highlights of our time here.  Wordless…

Stair Door 1 Stair Door 3

Stair Door 5

Stair Door 2 Stair Door 4

19 Responses to “WW: Trouble in Texarkana”

1. Charles a says:

Should have went another mile and stayed in

Texarkana Texas !!

Is this an older hotel??

It didn’t appear to be that old, but it wasn’t in good shape. We only stayed there because we were traveling with the cat so we had to stick to places that would allow him in our room.

2. Charles a says:

Is it only a two story building??

Might explain the door?

It was a 4-story building, but even a 2-story building would require code-compliant fire doors on the stairs.

3. Brandon J says:

Oh man a push/pull fire door, Safety First!! Can you steal that closer for me, I really need a new one on the storm door for my townhouse : )

4. Austin B says:

Would the holes for the previous closer and the gaps on the KD frame be against code as well? I thought you could have a hole in the frame as long as it’s not too big.

5. Michael Pedersen says:

Based on the holes in the frame they had a parallel arm closer there at some point. Presumably when it broke down Cletus and Joe decided it’d be easiest to replace it with a patio door closer from the Home Despot.

6. Rachel Smith says:

Sounds like the start of a good country song.

7. David says:

Self closing. Any worse than spring hinges?

8. Debbie Purcell, AHC says:

Wow! They went to alot of trouble to put a push pull instead of a fire rated exit looks like.

9. Eric says:

Looks like the maintenance budget was a little tight this year.

10. Ron Howard says:

value engineered by the low contractor!

11. Robert says:

I’m just SO impressed the painter didn’t paint over the label on the door. That’s the first thing painters do here in Georgia! (How’s that for finding a silver lining?)

12. Pat says:

Besides the (many) obvious issues, is that rating tag held on by one rivet and one screw? Good thing they didn’t paint over the tag – that would have been a code violation…

13. John Payson says:

What kind of opening force would a fire be likely to put on a door before temperatures reached the point that the area on the fire side of the door could be presumed uninhabitable? It’s acceptable for double fire doors to omit bottom rods if they are equipped with temperature-activated fire pins. Would pressures on the fire side of a door get too great too fast to make fire pins practical for holding push-pull or roller-latch doors?

That’s a good question. There are pins available for auto flush bolts so the bottom bolt can be omitted. I don’t know if anyone has tried the roller latch / push-pull idea.

14. Jeff Tock says:

Hotel prices are rising rapidly, and the condition of the properties is going down even more!!

15. DAVID FEDERICO says:

The hotel chain CEO should be shot or us it hung down there in that neck of the woods … Lol . Hate to say it I have seen worse or is it “worser”. The closer from the PA pattern looks like it was once a LCN 1074 or perhaps a off shore replica. Too many violations to even list . Obviously the AHJ doesn’t check these on any type of a regular basis. .. I guess once they have a real emergency they may change the way they think.