Jun 10 2016

FF: Custom Dogging Mechanism

Category: Fixed-it Friday,Panic HardwareLori @ 12:55 am Comments (11)

From a code perspective, there’s nothing wrong (in my opinion) with today’s Fixed-it Friday photo, sent to me by Jim Jennings of Oregon Lock.  It’s not a fire door, so mechanical dogging isn’t a problem.  It is, however, not the most beautiful application I’ve ever seen.  I wonder if a Quiet Doorman would have worked.

Custom Dogging Mechanism

11 Responses to “FF: Custom Dogging Mechanism”

1. James Slemmons says:

Necessity is the mother of “what the what?”

2. Andrew Harris says:

I’ve seen the Quiet Doorman on a full glass door before. They used clear double sticky tape.

3. Julia says:

Quiet Doorman would have been much nicer, I agree!

4. Eric says:

I can’t help but admire the creativity behind some of these fixes.

5. Richard says:

Wonder why they didn’t use screw in head under bottom? Stripped, froze up, oh well.

6. Tim says:

They must be Germans…that’s impressive engineering.

7. WSM says:

It’s truly amazing what the human mind can find or come up with to achieve their goal of dogg’n panic hrdw. It’s really quite impressive yet amusing. Where do they find these pieces?

8. Don Funsch says:

Who is the Architect. The J bolt should be bronze

9. STEVE says:

hey I have a bunch of those to sell, They are hold downs for tarps . I like it better then the place up the street that uses a fresh piece of duct tape every day

10. Rich says:

Yes it is creative, but I am never in favor of Rube Goldberg fixes. It was not designed that way… period… If they couldn’t find a 7/32 allen wrench at the local hardware store, I could send them one for only $42.95 plus shipping. I know that Dor-O-Matic parts are still available and a dog screw is a simple fix. Or on the vert rod models you can set it for 360 deg key rotation to dog it that way. Simple fix in a Forest Gump kind a way. When someone snags an expensive piece of clothing on it, it will become very high cost. And what happens if it gets turned just the right way to prevent the bar from pressing far enough to release when it is not dogged.

11. DAVID FEDERICO says:

Once again we as locksmiths fail to address the correct action…to inform the customer its wrong and proceed with the proper solution. A new active head assembly new device etc. I doubt this was installed by a locksmith more a necessity or as stated earlier the mother of invention. Ingenious as it may be it’s still wrong. If you think hiring a Professional is expensive…wait till you hire an Amateur…