Apr 08 2016

FF: Duct Tape Again

While I was at the BHMA meeting this week, my dinner companions pulled out their phones to compare photos of bad hardware and code problems (yes, this is the fun stuff we do at these meetings).  Tim Weller of Allegion had the Fixed-it Friday photos below – of fire exit hardware which of course has no mechanical dogging, and the maintenance department’s solution.  Even though the tape would likely melt away during the fire and allow the device to latch, it’s still not code-compliant.

Duct Tape 1

Duct Tape 2

Duct Tape 3

If you have photos held captive in your phone, set them free and send them to me!

10 Responses to “FF: Duct Tape Again”

1. Jack Ostergaard says:

Had to comment on the Belt and Suspenders approach of tape on the latch and on the push bar. Questions- A rated panel door, and why is there a push plate behind the mechanisim.

I’m guessing the plate is covering old holes. Not an acceptable fix for old holes, BTW.

2. WSM says:

Yes, we as architects owe it to ourselves to protect them from themselves, for they know not what they do. All they desire is freedom of movement despite their ignorance of necessary fire rated walls & such.

3. Robert says:

And it’s UGLY. At least use matching color duct tape, people. Have you no aesthetic sense? If you’re going to kill me, at least kill me in beautiful surroundings.

4. Joel Niemi says:

Door may just be faux paneled – someone nailed trim onto it, maybe. But we all know it was never tested like that. Maybe it just started out with a push plate, and exit device was added on top?

5. John Dalrymple says:

Not to be picky, but the tape looks like gaffer tape, a cousin of duct tape that doesn’t leave glue reside. It used my photographers and video production crews and Allegion trainers to tape down cords and cable so people don’t trip. Same effect, just about four time the cost.

6. Pete Schifferli says:

Look like a non-fire rated device with access hole for dogging! They could have avoided the duck tape by dogging the device in the retracted position, still illegal of course.

Pete Schifferli

7. Jeff Tock says:

I believe that is Gorilla Tape…it’s impervious to anything!!

8. Jamo Ladd says:

could this be the beginning of a fusible link exit device?????? i do not think so.

9. Terry Crump says:

Yep. I noticed the dogging hole in the push bar, so maybe our Duct Tape Phantom simply didn’t know what the hole was for. At any rate, I cannot see any label on the frame, so I wonder if it’s even intended to be a fire exit. Also, applied moulding to a flush door IS acceptable if the mounting guidelines are followed. (type of glue–nails properly sized and placed, etc)