May 13 2015

WW: High Security

Category: Egress,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:20 am Comments (21)

I was going to post this for Fixed-it Friday, but when I noticed the manual flush bolt installed in the face of each door, I became Wordless.  This exit is serving a theater.  Thank you to Dean Benson of Northern Door for the photo.

Chair Security

21 Responses to “WW: High Security”

Looks like an older facility

2. lach says:

I do enjoy the corner closer mount though.

3. Daniel Davis says:

WOW! really?
    I wonder if it has locking hardware on the outside and these were installed to keep smokers from setting off the alarm.
    yup…Wordless

4. Sheldon says:

Much quicker to remove a chair than a padlocked chain.

5. Bert Axelson says:

Codes have probably changed many times since the doors were installed. The flush bolts look like original equipment along with the potbelly closers. Maybe the flushbolts and chair were left over from the day they gunned down John Dillenger in the movie theater. The FBI did not want him exiting out the back door.

6. Marcus Muirhead says:

I hate to be picky, but the chair is in the wrong finish.

7. Rachel Smith says:

Why would anyone put flush bolts on a VR x VR application?

8. Joel Niemi says:

so, do you climb up on the secondary security device in order to operate the flush bolts?

Funny you should mention that…someone told me that they were having problems with one of the secondary security devices because there is a portion that is mounted a few inches up on the bottom of the door face and the kids were standing on it and “riding” the door (my kids would be all over that). When you attach something to the face of a fire door and then stand on it, it doesn’t stay attached for too long!!!

9. Shawn says:

Even if this is an older building. Why hasn’t the local fire marshal or building inspector put a stop to this? I know in some cities or areas of the country, regular building inspections are few and far in between. But I fault the local authority having jurisdiction for this one. Many or most building owners or staff don’t know enough about building codes or life safety codes or means of egress codes, etc. So the local AHJ inspects the building once when it is first built. The building owner then makes some changes or modifications a few years later. Then local AHJ never comes back for regular inspections? Wow. I don’t want to live in that city.

10. Vince Black says:

Definitely time to put that opening out to pasture.
    ‘Time’ to get with the times.

11. Martin Badke aka lauxmyth says:

Sign on left says you are under video surveillance. Time to get warrant for that to find who put the chair there if nobody speaks up.

12. Gordiz says:

So where are the inspectors?

13. Martin J. Kaywork says:

Did not sell enough tickets to buy a chain and padlock. The usual method.