Nov 22 2013

FF: What Happened Here?

For the record, I DO know what happened here…do you?  I’ve only seen this one other time in my travels.  This photo is from Lloyd Seliber of Keying Solutions from Macau, China.

What Happened Here

19 Responses to “FF: What Happened Here?”

1. Dave Snell, AHC says:

It looks like either an alarm or Delayed Egress Option that couldn’t be install in the normal location of the chassis because the door is only 2/6 wide so they mounted the option below the standard panic.

Exactly! They are Chexit delayed egress panics. You don’t see that a lot because egress doors are required to provide 32″ of clear opening width, and a standard Chexit fits without modification.

2. Jon Payne, CML says:

The bars were too long for the door so they cut off part of it and installed it under the bar?

Here’s a little photography tip for taking pictures of doors with windows, or bright exit lights. When using an iphone, use the HDR mode, or get an HDR app. Using High Dynamic Range means the camera takes two pictures. One with the dark areas properly exposed, and one with the light areas properly exposed. The 2 pictures are blended together to form a more perfect image with less lost detail. I’m sure there is an equivalent for Android. Your mileage may vary.

3. Joel Luper says:

With one picture it is hard to tell. It looks to me like they have installed access control on the panic devices and removed the “exit” panel from the sign. I would rule that when the door is provided with exit hardware, it gives the false impression that this is an exit. This is reinforced by the “sign” over the door. If this is no longer a required, I would ask the owner to remove the sign over the door and replace the hardware. If this is still a required exit, I would have the owner remove the access control and repair the sign.

4. Nolan thrope says:

Interesting is the use of an SVR x mortise device. It looks a little weird. The SVR rods should have RG27’s because you can easily dedefeat the Chexit by pulling the rods up and down.

5. Rich says:

Interesting. I have installed only a few chex-it devices and I remember that the key will not retract the latch of a rim device if it is “armed”. Is that the case with a SVR and maybe the rods will not move as well. The devices I installed required the Fire dept. to have access through the key cylinder, so we used a KNOX BOX with the tamper circuit to disarm the device. On a separate note, the only time I have had to do as in the picture was to install EL solenoids in existing bars that were too short for the “black box” to fit so we did a similar thing.

You’re right…with the rim device, the latch is held projected while the Chexit is armed. The concealed vertical rod device is similar. But if you do a surface vertical rod device someone can pull on the rods to retract the latches, so we recommend concealed, or if you use surface you should have rod and latch guards. On the mortise version, the outside lever is able to retract the latch even when the Chexit is armed, which can be handy if you have an application where you want delayed egress but free access.

6. Eric Rieckers says:

So were the wires exposed or did they create some sort of ‘end cap’ for each piece to cover them up?

I think they probably used regular end-caps on each end of the short piece, so they would have needed 2 extras per door.

7. Eric Hirning says:

I was going to say that the alarm/chexit part wouldn’t fit so they installed it underneath. Not the most attractive look, but it works!

So if delayed egress,

Where is the sign?

Also if delay, shouldn’t there be some magnets?

Ok thanks

11. Bryan McKeehan says:

Should have used the remote Chexit option as used at the exterior exits of most Costco stores.