Apr 16 2012

Doors of Miami Beach

Category: Fire DoorsLori @ 10:25 pm Comments (19)

I’m spending the night in Miami Beach for the International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC) conference.  I had some free time this afternoon so I took a drive around looking for some doors to share with you all.  Despite my hunting, almost every commercial door I saw was run-of-the-mill aluminum storefront.  No custom pulls, no fancy glass, nothing ornate…I’m sure they’re here somewhere, but I didn’t find them.

Instead I have the entrance door of the hotel where we ate dinner.  It’s an automatic door, and the sensor has been mounted on the projecting post.  Hideous!

And…the hotel where I’m spending the night.  The rooms at the conference rate were sold out, so I booked another hotel nearby.  I should have questioned why it was half the price (or less than half) of the other hotels.  I don’t have a ruler with me, but my fingers can fit into the gaps at the top, the bottom lock edge, and the hinge edge of my door (remember, the maximum clearance is 1/8″ for wood doors and 3/16″ for hollow metal doors).  The stair door right next to my room does not latch.  In the parking garage, I unpropped the rated stair door and let it close, only to find that there was no lever handle on the stair side.  On another floor of the garage, the latchbolt was duct taped to keep it from latching.  Very sad.  I think I need to turn in early.  On a positive note, the hotel has a sprinkler system.  Good night all!

19 Responses to “Doors of Miami Beach”

1. B says:

WOW….Sleep well

2. Joel Niemi says:

Did you ask the front desk for extra towels to fill the gaps around the room door?

3. John says:

“I should have questioned why it was half the price (or less than half) of the other hotels.”
    The popcorn ceiling should have been a big clue.

That looks like a very old building.

5. Lee Francisco says:

Looks like plain bearing hinges on the entry door, with a closer!
    The stairwell door has what appears to be half surface hinges. Did you happen to see the size? There’s only 3 thru-bolts per hinge.
    You don’t see pot belly closers to often. At least not here in the midwest.

6. Ken says:

I would have asked for my money back. It only takes one incident to become a number in someones report . It is like a fire triangle, remove one leg of the triangle and there is no fire.

7. Douglas HIcks says:

A couple of times I have noted serious problems w/life and safety equipment. I got a refund and left. Chances of a fire, very slim. We all know that, but fire does happen.

Another thing, I count doors to the closest exit. I also check the exits to make sure they open to the outside.

OK, call me paranoid, 20+ years of riding the truck will do that to you.

I guess I need to stop worrying that people are going to a) think I’m nuts for being so door-focused, or b) think I’m a tattletale for notifying the fire marshal or the corporate office. What if I didn’t tell someone and then something happened?

Given the state of the building, I couldn’t help but wonder if the sprinkler system was attached to a water source.

8. Milt says:

If we don’t report stuff like this at very least to the property manager, or better the head office of the property, shame on us. It will never get fixed.

I agree, Milt. I reported it to the hotel chain, and they said the hotel manager would be calling me, but I didn’t hear from anyone. I also emailed the Miami Beach fire marshal and didn’t hear back. 🙁

9. Jim Bumgarner says:

Your door is too small! Your frame is too big!— I recall a door & hw PM at a company I installed for undercutting ALL the doors for carpet by 1″ too much in a HOTEL!

We had just finished a job at another hotel(the same chain)where he did not under cut the doors and after 3/4″ carpet and 1/2″ padding was put in, he had to pay me to cut down every door that went over carpet!When ordering the doors for the next hotel, he muttered something like …fool me once…!

Come to find out the carpet in the next hotel was like indoor/outdoor stuff, only 1/4″! He had to buy really long door bottoms, and I had to cheat them way down! I questioned the fire rating and the dodo hit the fan! You could literally look under the door and see the bed in the room!

Read the Specs BEFORE you order your doors!
    Jim

10. Jim Elder says:

Wow 4:30 AM. Im impressed. Guess you were up all night with a gun in your lap..

11. Cecilia says:

How ironic I run across the picture that made your finger famous while reading “random posts”. That door in closed position with the lighting behind it looks like something out of a horror movie.

I know – I use the door photo all the time when I talk about clearances on fire doors. That hotel was a particularly bad example.