Feb 15 2012

WW: Adhesive (Tape) Label

Category: FDAI,Fire Doors,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 9:44 am Comments (12)

Sent in by an anonymous fire marshal who is getting quite the education in fire door assemblies.  🙂

12 Responses to “WW: Adhesive (Tape) Label”

1. John says:

At least they didn’t paint over the label.

2. Brad Keyes says:

Don’t you just love it…. How organizations can be so resourceful?

It’s the portable door label… Just take it down and move it to wherever you need it!

3. aarchitect says:

The best part is that they DID paint over the scotch tape.

4. Charlie Hobbs says:

It seems to be a frame label being used on a door!
    But who reads fire labels. They just look for a label and if it has a label it is a labeled opening.

5. Dino Dusi says:

It appears to be a Frame Label, taped to the soffit of the frame. There appears to be a SS Continuous hinge installed. The Label would have been covered by the hinge if it had been attached.

6. B says:

This was obviously never installed on a door or frame, or they were a magician getting it off but then to be that good taking it off and this is your reinstall finish product seems odd.
    When I got in the business and still to this day have people ask me for labels and have been told about people by name that use to just sell them to GC’s and I still hear about it today.
    With that being said has anyone ever heard of WH or UL going after a company and pulling their ability to label?

7. Jamo Ladd says:

i do like the sticker that says do not prop open Fire Door. as far as the taped label, it is apparent a labeled shop did not do that, so the Fire Inspector had no problem pointing out the deficiency

8. Adrian says:

My personal favorite was when I had a customer who had painted over all of their labels. When I brought this to their attention they told me they were in the process of fixing the problem. A week later I stopped by and discovered labels that had been printed, laminated and superglued to the doors.

9. Lee says:

Why not go after the company that provided the label. This is part of the reason for the serial numbers, to be able to track the label.

10. Joel Niemi says:

Just wondering (UL told me it was privileged information and declined to share it) how many fire-rated doors are installed in the US?
    I’m guessing that the serial numbers are not totally sequential; that is, manufacturers / fabricators are issued “X” labels, and they restock when they run out.

Hi Joel –

I don’t think anyone knows the answer to this question. Millions and millions is my best guess.

11. David says:

I noted about 12 or so years ago on a DoD project that the stairwell doors that were going to be installed had the very same serial number on each one.