In a few weeks I will be teaching my Decoded online course again, this time on behalf of the Center for Campus Fire Safety. The Decoded course is a 4-class series on code requirements applicable to doors and hardware, and is based on the following codes and standards:
- International Building Code (IBC)
- NFPA 101 – The Life Safety Code
- NFPA 80 – Standard for Fire Doors and Other Opening Protectives
- ICC A117.1 – Standard for Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
Classes cover the following subject areas:
- Accessibility Requirements – including clear opening width, hardware operation, opening force, closing speed, automatic operators, flush bottom rails, thresholds, and vision lite requirements
- Fire Door Assemblies – including purpose of fire doors, fire test methods, closing and latching requirements, clearances, astragals and smokeseal, fire exit hardware, field modifications, flush bolts and coordinators, glazing, signage, and fire door assembly inspection requirements
- Egress and Life Safety – including occupancy types, opening protectives, means of egress, hardware operation, panic hardware, impact-resistant glazing, luminous egress path markings, and door swing
- Codes for Electrified Hardware – including electric latch retraction, delayed egress locks, access-controlled egress doors, electromagnetically locked egress doors, I-2 special egress locks, elevator lobby egress, and stairwell reentry
Classes will be held September 17, September 24, October 1, and October 8 at 11 a.m. Eastern. Each class will be recorded and available online in case you have a scheduling conflict. The course provides continuing education credits for AIA (a total of 4 HSW points) and DHI (a total of 8 CEP points).
The course is free for Campus Fire Safety members. The cost for non-members is $100 for all 4 classes.
Click here to register for the classes, or click here for membership information. If you have difficulty registering, or if you have questions about membership, email Cathy Tabor at the Center for Campus Fire Safety.
If you are an Allegion employee, email me for a registration link.